First time tort keeper

Allecto

Location (City and/or State)
Northern California
Hello, I am a long time reptile lover, but in the past I've mainly kept snakes. My six year old daughter has been begging for a 'turtle' for years, and her little brother had joined in the pleading this year. She wanted a softshell turtle, he wanted a large Sulcata. Clearly that wasn't going to happen as a small kid's pet or a first time tortoise. After a lot of research, I decided a Russian would be the best fit, and at the Sacramento reptile show we found the perfect Russian at International Reptile Rescue's booth. She is lively and active and doesn't seem especially bothered by the kids gently petting her shell or hovering at the edge of her enclosure. The big drama the last few days has been them trying to find 'him' the best turtle name- because they refuse to believe it is a girl, and not a turtle.

I'm looking forward to hanging out on the forum and continuing to learn more about how to provide the best for our tortoise. I won't be the most exciting member as I don't intend to breed or expand into other species, but I do love learning about species even if I don't intend to keep them, and I always love discussing ways to enrich and improve habitats. Maybe some day I'll add another female Russian if this one has the personality to allow it. If not, that's okay. I kind of like how feisty and opinionated some of the Russians seem to be.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Hello, and welcome to the forum. It is said, tortoises are like potato chips.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!