first enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

matty0071

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
england
hi i have a 4 year old horsefield tortoise male called terance.I currently have him in a fish tank in order to keep the temp up the vet i recentlytook him to said he was underweight i wont be hibernating him this year because of this. i struggle with keeping the temp the same all the time i am not to sure what temps to keep or the ideal house for him i also live in england and what would be best to feed him to put weight on thanks
matty

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
Hello!

I've never kept russians/horsfields but I I know alot of folks here do.

Looks like a decent care sheet here http://russiantortoise.org/care_sheet.htm

they're suggesting low 70's F with a 90-95 F Hotspot, so like 23 c with a 34 c or so hotspot, just from looking at a thermometer for conversion lol.

so basically room temps and humidity with a basking spot... no wonder they're so popular, that's pretty easy to do :)

hope this helps

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When I'm trying to put weight on a thin tortoise, I add veggies to his greens. So a bed of greens (a nice variety), then a few chunks of zucchini, some bell pepper, a bit of cactus and yellow squash. They'll eat just about everything that's sold in the produce section. You can occasionally grate some carrot over the whole plate of food.

Status
Not open for further replies.