FINALLY!! Introducing Tico!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ticothetort2

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
I've been a member for a couple months now and finally we have our own tort to brag about!! Tico is our new Gpp from Tom and Cory. He arrived at the house today and was greeted by a nice 30 min long soak on the front porch and enjoyed some sun after his journey. He has Taken to his new enclosure very well and has explored every nook and cranny already! He took no time diving into his first meal of spring mix, kale, and mazuri...what a little pig!! He must of traveled between the food, basking area, humid hide, and dry hide like there was no tomorrow. Well I guess it's time to share a few pics!!

digging in...
tico61p2.jpg

making sure his temps are up to standard...
tico055p.jpg

yup...looks good to me...
tico057p1.jpg

what a pig...
tico041p.jpg

basking in all his glory...
tico033p1.jpg

maybe I have a little room left...
tico031p.jpg

humid hide edition...THE END...
IMAG0043.jpg

ticothetort2

5 Year Member
SoCal
It is a Geochelone Pardalis Pardalis, the larger of the African Leopard tortoises. Yeah he seems to like checking on his temperature...hahaha. My wife loves your signature pic with Chevy on your head.

Marty333

10 Year Member!
Winter Springs, Florida A quaint little town near
ticothetort2 said:
It is a Geochelone Pardalis Pardalis, the larger of the African Leopard tortoises. Yeah he seems to like checking on his temperature...hahaha. My wife loves your signature pic with Chevy on your head.

Thank you I thought he was leopard but the name was foreign to me :p And thank you about my sig. I love his name Tico it seems to fit him really well :D

Kenny

5 Year Member
Tempe, Az
Beautiful Tort! I'm sure he's overwhelmed by his new pad :cool:

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
He is absolutely beautiful!! I'm sure with all the "after care" you'll be getting he'll stay that way too. Your pictures are all great, but I love the third one the best. Adorable.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Great pictures :)

Tico though is a Stigmochelys pardalis pardalis. His name changed a little while back. :D

Danny

ticothetort2

5 Year Member
SoCal
Thanks everyone for the congrats! I think we found our new addiction!!

Danny, thank you for the heads up. What was the reason for the name change? Does it have to do with being Pardalis vs. Babcock?

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
GRATZ!!!
I'm sooo jealous. I will have G.p.p. (or I guess S.p.p.) as well... someday ...
That whole name change may be a slow one to catch on... Geochelone is already a mouthful.... Stigmochelys???? ferget it LOL

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
The genus (the first capitalized name) change had nothing to do with the species or subspecies and everything to do with who Leopard tortoises are related to.
Everyone thought for the longest time that Leopards were related to Sulcatas. With recent DNA work, they have found that Leopards aren't closely related to Sulcatas at all. They did though find out who they are related to and they are very close relatives. Leopards are just giant tent tortoises. :p They were even thinking of putting them in the genus Psammobates because they are that closely related. They though went for a new genus Stigmochelys. So everyone with a Leopard tortoise just has a giant tent tortoise. :D

Danny

Shelli

5 Year Member
Antigua West Indies
He is beautiful I think you got the best one out of his sibs too for markings!
I love the pictures looks like he is going to be watching you very closely to make sure his temps & humidity don't slip.. LOL...

ticothetort2

5 Year Member
SoCal
Thank you everyone for the compliments. My wife is a photographer so she get's all the credit for the pics, I'm sure there will be many more to come! Shelli we think so too (probably because he is ours though!!). We loved the symmetry of his markings and new that he was the one that we wanted instantly. They are all so beautiful though, I just love the patterns on the leopards. Thanks again...

Status
Not open for further replies.