Feral iguanas are back---what to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tempest

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Cincinnati, OH
Aww, what cuties! Nasty or not, they're adorable. Not to mention the dog- is she a wire-haired daschund?

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Tempest said:
Aww, what cuties! Nasty or not, they're adorable. Not to mention the dog- is she a wire-haired daschund?

Yep, good guess. Most people don't realize that she is a wired haired daschund.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I think this is a cute thread and funny, even tho I am sure some folks are not happy with it.:p Can only imagine if we were talking turtles instead of iguanas, what comments we would be getting.:rolleyes: So the freeze killed most of the adults and these are from eggs already safely laid and buried? Are folks trying to eliminate them now while they are young, before the wild population makes a strong come back?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I think Id ad a touch of Salsa to that Iguac for a authentic look... HA!
I love Wire doxies.. totally different personalities then the smooths..

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Super cute post! I was laughing and laughing and then my son came in, I tried to explain it to him, and all he did was worry about the iguana, then he said he was never ever gonna eat guacamole again! Which made me laugh all over agian!! You guys are a hoot! Love it!!

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Laura...oh, I agree. Our wire doxie is very different from our old smooth male who could be a real butthead. Even at age 12 Chloe is still as playful as could be but she has no doxie 'attitude'...
DSC04539.jpg

Jacqui...good question about the iguana population. Most of the adult animals died during the freeze but enough survived to repopulate. Some of the eggs that had been buried might have survived too although that is a long shot.
People down here have mixed feelings about the iguanas. Most everyone agrees that the little ones are cute---which they are...

DSC00109.jpg

DSC00469.jpg

...but when they grow to be 4 or 5 foot long monsters that chew up your garden, destroy your orchids and other ornamental plants and then poop everywhere, people get fed up. Plus, they are incredibly nasty once they get some size on them.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I can imagine how nasty they might get, I took in a rescue male many years ago that hated me and never let me forget it. Never could turn your back or let your attention waver from him.

Status
Not open for further replies.