Female Russian Tortoise Hibernation HELP

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and I have a problem with my baby that has me very worried. I picked Sam up from PetCo in July of 2k15 and now she's 11 months old. She started being a lot less active in Novemeber, and since February of 2016 she barely moves at all. Sometimes you'll see her open up a peeper but never eating or moving. I give her frequent warm bathes with JUST warm water. She has a UVB light I put on her a couple days a week for a few hours. Our house is sadly kept at a 62 degrees, which is brutal in Michigan weathers. I do sleep with her to keep the buisa warm lol. Im very worried about what to do, as Im beginning to fear sickness or even, death. What can I do????

dannylozano10

Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio,tx
Hello and welcome

She needs a uvb and basking bulb on for 12 hours a day(the easiest is a mvb bulb) temp under the basking should be around 100 and night temp should be 65-70 if the temps are too low she will act like that and not eat(she needs to sleep in enclosure)

Is how she's acting unhealthy? I didn't put her in "hibernation mode" she just kinda did it. I'll put the light on her much more, but will she return to normal once spring comes around with more sun and warmth?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
She needs a steady heat cycle, day and night. I use a black light at night to provide heat without light, but lots of folks use a CHE:

ch150.jpg

I think you'll find that she will become more active once you give her the necessary UVB daily and a bit of heat at night.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's hard to know if a tortoise is healthy from word descriptions or pictures. We would have to see it in real life. Also, a Russian tortoise big enough to get by the 4" rule and be sold in a pet store is much older than 11 months. Probably more like 8 or 10 years old.

Please post pictures of the enclosure, the lights, the tortoise and anything you think might help us help you.

A wild tortoise living in nature is exposed to UVB any time he's out in the sun.

dannylozano10

San Antonio,tx
Nevermind guys, she passed away this morning. I'm gonna go cut myself now

I wouldn't say that that's kind of unnecessary because in reality it most likely wasn't your fault that your tortoise passed away... If you got it from Petco than they must have done something bad/wrong to Sam.

ileoyu

Sorry to hear this, don't blame yourself for this because he was most likely uncared for in Petco anyway. Take this as a lesson and never get torts from pet stores. I do see a few things that you need to adjust to keep a healthy tort. Please do research on this forum if you're planning to get another one. Sorry for your loss.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm so sorry to hear that he died.