Female Russian Tort Adoption?

hi I'm looking for a female RT as a friend for my male RT. I take care of the one I already have. He gets soaked everyday, fed twice a day and gets walks every other day. I really want a female RT. I live in New York but if you are willing to ship, that would be great too. You can reach me at [email protected] or talk to me here. I need answers soon. Thank you very much.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi King:

Unless you have enough space for two complete set-ups, I'd like to talk you out of getting another Russian tortoise. When kept together, indoors, in a small habitat, the male tortoise will bite off the female's eyelids, front leg scales, and just harass her until she stays hidden all the time to keep away from him.

As far as "friends" go, tortoises are territorial. That means they neither want nor need friends. When another tortoise comes into the existing tortoise's territory he fights, sometimes to the death of one of them, to chase the new tortoise out of the territory. For breeding, the male usually comes across a female accidently, breeds then goes on his way. They don't live together.

I'm getting another enclosure. I just want them to mate. They will be together when I take them outside but when inside, I will separate them when I get a new tank.