feeding???

mrs.mr.hayner

hi guys. I have a map turtle that won't eat pellets I've tried different types. won't touch veggies likes melons . I've been able to get him to eat a few worms and will get fish on pay day what ealce can I try?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
no more fruits and veggies the diet will be manly carnivorous with some greens once or twice a week.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
You might try some mealworms from a pet store. They are similar to the various insect larvae that wild map turtles consume.
One you get him eating natural foods you can experiment with more convenient pellets and such.
Agree with dmmj too, less melon and greens. Or skip them altogether.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I have lots of map turtles. All became very eager eaters of Mazuri aquatic turtle pellets. For my hatchlings, I normally have to start them on more natural foods and stuff that wiggles! Usually their first is blood worms, then mealworms and red wigglers. I also chop up some small shrimp or boiled chicken as treats. I always add in some Reptomin hatchling formula to try to get them started on pellets. Those also have a greater amount of D3 and calcium for babies and are small and easy to eat. I do throw in a leaf of romaine, or kale, or endive to let them nibble as they choose. Once they are eating that I start adding in Mazuri aquatic turtle pellets. Because I have so many large turtles in a pond with large koi, I use the Mazuri along with Mazuri Koi as a staple for the pond, so I like to get all mine on that as soon as possible. I do like the vitamin and mineral balance, and have turtles that have lived over 30 years still going great and laying eggs every year with that as their diet.

mrs.mr.hayner

I have lots of map turtles. All became very eager eaters of Mazuri aquatic turtle pellets. For my hatchlings, I normally have to start them on more natural foods and stuff that wiggles! Usually their first is blood worms, then mealworms and red wigglers. I also chop up some small shrimp or boiled chicken as treats. I always add in some Reptomin hatchling formula to try to get them started on pellets. Those also have a greater amount of D3 and calcium for babies and are small and easy to eat. I do throw in a leaf of romaine, or kale, or endive to let them nibble as they choose. Once they are eating that I start adding in Mazuri aquatic turtle pellets. Because I have so many large turtles in a pond with large koi, I use the Mazuri along with Mazuri Koi as a staple for the pond, so I like to get all mine on that as soon as possible. I do like the vitamin and mineral balance, and have turtles that have lived over 30 years still going great and laying eggs every year with that as their diet.
ok thank you. how grate it is that you get to experience and raise them I'd love to start from hatchlings . this is my first time having a turtle and he( I think don't know if he is really a he ) is a awesome new experience. we took him in to our crab rescue and decided that we are going to keep him.

mrs.mr.hayner

would you mind if I asked you some questions about map turtle habitat setups ? asked our local pet store and was told any thing here you can use and was pointed to an isle.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
would you mind if I asked you some questions about map turtle habitat setups ? asked our local pet store and was told any thing here you can use and was pointed to an isle.
Could you post some pictures of the turtle and the setup you have now? For the turtle - top, bottom with view of tail, and shot showing head and neck markings

mrs.mr.hayner

ok so this is the best I could do.( fyi his/her shell was injured when we got it) they where wanting to put him/her down. Snapchat-462692996.jpg0220171316a.jpg0220171316.jpg0220171315f.jpg0220171315e.jpg0220171315d.jpg0220171315c.jpg
ATTACH]

Attachments

• 0220171315b.jpg
    0220171315b.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 0220171313a.jpg
    0220171313a.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 0220171314.jpg
    0220171314.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 0220171312a.jpg
    0220171312a.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 0220171303.jpg
    0220171303.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 0220171309d.jpg
    0220171309d.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 0

mrs.mr.hayner

I have him in my extra 29 gal tank. I plan on getting a 50 gal but not sure wether to get a tub or tank

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I have him in my extra 29 gal tank. I plan on getting a 50 gal but not sure wether to get a tub or tank
You have a MALE Mississippi Map Turtle. Graptemys pseudogeographica kohni Some will sell one like yours as a "high orange" individual and ask a bit more if selling one. Normally the marking on the head and neck are bright yellow. The orange is more unusual, but it also going to vary in intensity with diet and condition. The nice thing about males of this subspecies, is that they only get about 4" when fully mature. A female can get to 10". So your guy will not get too big.

A 55 gal tank would be OK for this guy. They are great swimmers and love deeper water and need a basking platform. I prefer the aquariums for indoor setups as opposed to tubs simply because of being able to watch and enjoy the turtle, and the depth of water you can provide in an aquarium. A tub could work fine, I just prefer aquariums.

mrs.mr.hayner

You have a MALE Mississippi Map Turtle. Graptemys pseudogeographica kohni Some will sell one like yours as a "high orange" individual and ask a bit more if selling one. Normally the marking on the head and neck are bright yellow. The orange is more unusual, but it also going to vary in intensity with diet and condition. The nice thing about males of this subspecies, is that they only get about 4" when fully mature. A female can get to 10". So your guy will not get too big.

A 55 gal tank would be OK for this guy. They are great swimmers and love deeper water and need a basking platform. I prefer the aquariums for indoor setups as opposed to tubs simply because of being able to watch and enjoy the turtle, and the depth of water you can provide in an aquarium. A tub could work fine, I just prefer aquariums.
thank you. what kind of sub and plants should be used. Sorie about all the questions I'd rather get it right the first time.