Feed cresson + how much shoud I feed her

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hello

I have a hermann tortoise, she's 10 months old. Is it ok if I feed her some cressons? I heard it is a great source of fiber.

I would also like to know if it is ok if she eats for 30-40 min a day. I heard a tortoise that eats everyday should eat for 20 min but mine takes a couple of breaks when she eats. So it is hard to calculate the time. I gave her a portion of half her shell?

Thanks

Isa

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Isa, I am no expert and I have Greeks but I am not sure there is a formula for feeding. If it takes her 30-40 minutes I would let her have that time. As long as she is not getting fat. Large bulges around her arms or neck. I might want to weigh her monthly or even weekly and see how fast she gains. Some torts move alot and theirfore need more food as they burn it of by exersizing lots. Others eat less. I don't know what cressons are? Where are you located Isa?

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hello

Thanks for your reply. I only have her since 2 months so it is a bit hard to see if she is getting fat. THe only thing I know is she lovesss eating. She is always hungry :D I hope it will stay that way! How do you weight her? you put her in a bowl or directly on the balance?

I'm from Canada. Montreal.

Thanks

Isa

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
When weighing a tort I like to use an appropriate sized container. First you weigh the container and put tort in. Subtract container weight and you have tort weight.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Thanks for your answer Itort.

By the way, Watercress is the correct word for cressons. OPSS sorry I made a mistake.

Thanks

Isa

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Isa said:
Hello

I have a hermann tortoise, she's 10 months old.

Isa

No matter how much she eats, its very important for a tortoise to have lots of exercise. Most people make the mistake of having too small a habitat for their little tortoise. If you place the food on the opposite side from the hiding place so that she has to do a lot of walking to get to it, she will get her exercise.

Yvonne

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Watercress is fine for you tortoise.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Thanks for your answers :)

I make her do a lot of exercise. I think her terrarium is ok and I make her walk on a big towel every 2 days for like 45 minutes, she lovessss that :D. In her terrarium, she walks but not that much, she sleeps and basks a lot.

Yertle

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Gilbert AZ
Isa, I'm curious, why a towel? I've read of people putting towels into enclosures but I'm not sure what the benefit is.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Yertle said:
Isa, I'm curious, why a towel? I've read of people putting towels into enclosures but I'm not sure what the benefit is.

Hello Yertle,

I do not put the towel in her terrarium but on the floor, that way she can walk aroung :). I put a towel on the floor because the floor is cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.