Fecal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marty333

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Winter Springs, Florida A quaint little town near
Hey everyone! I was wondering how long can I keep Novas poop until her fecal. She is getting a fecal done on sunday but she just pooped now and I dont know if I should keep it. This is only the second time she has pooped since i got her so I rather not take the chance unless I have to.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its always best to take in a fresh sample. She'll probably poop on the car ride to the vet.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
yes, fresher is better.. you can put it in a baggie and store inthe fridge to keep it fresher.. but label it well!
Like if you get a good on the night before.. old cleaned out yogurt containers work well too.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
I was told 4 hours fresh by Daisy Lou's Dr! I took the fecal in before the visit, so we could talk about it at the appt. rather than them calling back a few days later and talking over the phone. It was worth driving there twice. She had me write the time of the "Event" so they could process the sample within the 4 hour period. I would call them to see what their guidelines are, so you don't find out later it was not fresh enough. JMO! :D

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
I took my girl to the vet today. I had a fecal sample (12 hours old) packed and day to go. Just so happens that Leia pooped while en route to the vet, so they got a fresh one!

Good luck.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
Just don't soak her between now and then... When you don't soak them for a few days, you almost guarantee a fresh one when you soak them on Sunday morning.

lincoln3313

5 Year Member
My vet applied a little pressure, and.....drum roll....fecal sample...as fresh as they come. Of course, he has raised tortoises for about 20 years, so maybe not all vets are able to "produce" a sample in their office.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
When I worked for a vet we routinely did fecals on old poop. You are looking for eggs in the sample, not the worms themselves. The poop is soaked in a saline solution for a while before a sample is examined under the microscope, so if it is dry it rehydrates then.

Jermosh

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
Shelly said:
When I worked for a vet we routinely did fecals on old poop. You are looking for eggs in the sample, not the worms themselves. The poop is soaked in a saline solution for a while before a sample is examined under the microscope, so if it is dry it rehydrates then.

This was what I was told as well and seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.