Extra large sulcata

Efiles2014

Welcome, hope you stick around our site. Please visit the specific species section and go to the Sulcatas and read the care sheets. I don't want to harp on you but that substraight is bad for it and that glass tank was to small for it as a hatchling let alone one your size. That's like making you live in a half bathroom.

It's pretty, I love the darker ones. Mines 11 years old and about 125 pounds and 31" long. They're fantastic animals. Again, welcome.
That is just where he sleeps this is his day time play penimage.jpg

Efiles2014

It looks like you were using cedar bedding in the first pic. If so, that stuff emits toxic fumes. Here are some sulcata threads for you.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.78361/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

I'm curious to know where you are and how you raised him. Also, do you know the source? Are you sure of the age?
Positive on his age we got him when he was a month old and just 2 oz. we got him from a rescue so we do not know his lineage. We are in dallas TX. Not sure how to answer the question on raising him do you have specific questions?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Positive on his age we got him when he was a month old and just 2 oz. we got him from a rescue so we do not know his lineage. We are in dallas TX. Not sure how to answer the question on raising him do you have specific questions?
You answered me elsewhere on that. Maybe for the benefit of those reading and admiring your gorgeous tortoise you could repeat your routine for us. How often you soaked, substrate used, type of enclosure and how you heated and lit it, etc...

What I was wondering is how this tortoise was started at the breeders facility for the first few days or weeks until it went to market. Most of them don't get enough hydration or humidity and they don't grow as fast or look as good.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
We soak him frequently. This is large for his age?
Welcome to TFO! He's right around average for his age...a little lumpy but nothing to worry about. Still looks good! Pump up the heat and humidity...soak him a couple times a day...and you have quite an animal there!

Last edited:

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
yea i would say he is.i think @Tom can identify if he is a Sudanese sulcata. sudanese sulcatas get really big, heres a pic of some.
View attachment 112902 View attachment 112903
It is highly unlikely that this would be of Sudanese origin! There is ONLY one breeder of true Sudans...and as far as I know, Tom and I are the ONLY people in the States to acquire pure strain hatchlings (and even that remains somewhat doubtful...in light of recent occurences)! However, there are several individuals that have acquired single adult specimens from the breeder and/or his partner!

Note: There would be NO way to identify a Sudanese until it has reached (at least) half of its adult size.