Extra large sulcata

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
Welcome, hope you stick around our site. Please visit the specific species section and go to the Sulcatas and read the care sheets. I don't want to harp on you but that substraight is bad for it and that glass tank was to small for it as a hatchling let alone one your size. That's like making you live in a half bathroom.

It's pretty, I love the darker ones. Mines 11 years old and about 125 pounds and 31" long. They're fantastic animals. Again, welcome.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

gustaf

5 Year Member
Welcome, hope you stick around our site. Please visit the specific species section and go to the Sulcatas and read the care sheets. I don't want to harp on you but that substraight is bad for it and that glass tank was to small for it as a hatchling let alone one your size. That's like making you live in a half bathroom.

It's pretty, I love the darker ones. Mines 11 years old and about 125 pounds and 31" long. They're fantastic animals. Again, welcome.
Tortdad. Can we see a pic of your big sulcata? He sounds like a sight to behold.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi efiles2014, and welcome to the Forum!

Your sulcata is just a normal, growing being. They all grow at different rates, and 6lbs at almost 2 years really isn't all that out of the normal range of growth. Sulcata tortoises grow awfully fast. Your tortoise looks great. So many times we see terribly bumpy sulcatas and yours is almost smooth, so cedar bedding or not, he's been doing great.

Read the threads that Tom linked for you. We have new, cutting edge info on raising African baby tortoises, stuff you probably won't read anyplace else on the 'net.

Good to have you here, and I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of your sulcata as he grows.