External filter suggestions

Tatergirl09

Location (City and/or State)
Ventura, CA
Hey all! It's been sometime since I've been on here. Looking for some suggestions from the vets. I have a 20 gallon tank with a small western painted slider, a few fish and ghost shrimp, aquatic plants, and basking area. I keep about 13 (give or take) gallons on there at a time. I have gone through 3, yes 3, Exo Terra ex350 filters.... I'm over it. I need some thing more reliable and durable apparently. Any suggestions? THANK YOU

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The canister filters are good. Fluval or Eheim are good brands. They come in different sizes.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I love my new Fluval 306, I only have about 20 gallons in my turtles 40g tank right now, but I figured if I upgraded one day I'd have the filter for it already. Expensive but worth it.

Randi

Canada
I use a brand called Hydor. I used to use the Aqueon and Fluval filters but I found they broke down easily and I'd constantly have to replace parts or the entire unit. I've never had a problem with my Hydor canister filter and I've had it for over a year. It runs for over a month and a half without needing any assistance or cleaning. I just syphon out the debris from the tank weekly - but then again, I only have a glass bottom without any gravel or substrate so that helps me keep it a lot cleaner. I also only feed my turtle his pellets and plant matter in the tank and feed him in a separate container when feeding anything else. My water remains crystal clear with the use of this canister filter. I'd recommend a Hydor filter to anyone.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I have many fish tanks. My house resembles Sea World.
Recently I've started using Aquatop cannister filters on all of my tanks after using two of them for over two years with great results.(I want them all to be the same manufacture to help with maintenance)
I just purchased three more of the C300 models for $39 each on black Friday.
The 400 model can be had for $89 and has a UV sterilizer built in but it moves a LOT of water.
Aquatop and Top fin are sister companies of the same factory that produces Marineland filters.
They are nearly identical and are much cheaper. Especially on the internet.