Experiment #5 - putting an end to pyramiding!

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maggie Cummings

I totally apologize for the way my comments about how you intend on keeping your new Sulcata babies, has been taken by several members. I guess having a different opinion or disagreeing with somebody is not acceptable with this group.
Speaking of groups, most of my animals have been outside since 10 o'clock this morning. It is 68 degrees, overcast and cloudy with 63% humidity. And my new Sulcata babies are outside too.

As was pointed out to me, this comment was also carry over from another thread, so I am deleting this last comment...by Mod Jacqui

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Maggie, "This group" loves you, so knock it off. Keep doing what you do! deleted a sentence by Mod Jacqui

Kristina, I just want to reiterate that I'm very excited about this one and can't wait to see the results.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
LOL, guys, don't poke the mod ;) No worries up until this point, but don't let it go any farther, k?

I respect ALL of your opinions. There is no need to apologize to me, as I was not, and am not, offended. The end!

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Kristina, I didn't see a hide. Where do they sleep at night? So you are just leaving them out for the summer? I thought you meant all year long. Do they ever get their feet caught in the wire.? They sure are cute.

Ok I went back and looked again. I see you wrote that there are hides. also it looks like you buried the wire.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Yes, there are three hides. They are buried so hard to see from a top view. All three go to a seperate hide every night.

Yes, the wire is buried. The base of the pen was built to allow for a depth of about 6" plus a sight barrier. The purpose of the wire is to keep tortoises in/predators out.

As to keeping them outside year long - I wish. I don't have the climate for it. However, I am a firm believer that starting a hatchling right is more than half the battle. If they grow well through the next few months, it should start a pattern for continued healthy growth, based on my beliefs.

I was just given a 220 gallon, 6' long aquarium yesterday. That will be their winter home *this year ;) *. I am still working on exactly how it will be heated.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
How far into the Fall do you think they will be able to be outside? Are you currently bringing them in at night?

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
No, I have been leaving them out, except the two nights it got into the 50's. Last year my torts were outside into October if I remember correctly.

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
Kristina, do you plan to keep these guys indefinitely or will you rehome them when they get to large to be indoors for the winter?

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Most likely I will keep them. I have the two older ones as well that Kevin bred. If I do need to rehome them, these three will go back to Tom.

As far as being too large to keep indoors, really, that all depends on how much dedication you are willing to put into it. Kevin only lives a few hours south of me and is able to maintain his group indoors through the winter months and even breed them. I look at it this way - I may not have the ideal climate year round, but I can certainly take care of them better than Joe Shmoe who lives in a similar climate and wants to keep them in a 10 gallon fish tank for the next 20 years ;)

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
If I could only get my fiancé to think like that I would probably have sulcatas by now as well. :p

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Wow, such great photos and detailed descriptions! I am another excited spectator in this grand experiment.

I just can't help laughing at the thought of your baby Bob, AKA Devon, planted by Tom in an experiment of his own--it's like separating twins at birth. :p

Sulcatifornia

5 Year Member
San Diego, California
Maybe a little off topic but what is a good thread about the heat controversy? I have my own opinion but I'd like to see others!

Alyssa

Status
Not open for further replies.