Experiment #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maggie Cummings

These hatchlings came into this world between June 2 and 3, they weighed from 38 to 41 grams. They don't yet have permanent names but they do have definite personalities. The smallest one is actually #1 and he is a terror. This is he at bath and the weigh in...
he hatched at 38 grams and I got him 2 weeks ago at 49 grams he'll be a month old this week end on July 2nd and he is 60 grams.
2hxlyj7.jpg

He is a holy terror. A trouble maker and the most active hatchling I have ever seen.

This is where they live all day...

sesrgo.jpg

He started grazing from the first day I put him out there. It rained off and on all day today and he just acted like it was nothing...I think he's taking after Bob.

dyu3xz.jpg

#2 is quiet and shy and hates to be held. He came at 40 grams and is 55 grams now...
fnr77t.jpg

#3 is now the smallest at 50 grams. He was the largest when they arrived but he doesn't eat very well and I think he is bullied by #1.
2egaez6.jpg

I look forward to Experiment # 5 too see how her babies are doing...
2ic5p50.jpg

They are such fun and they fight me and don't want to be socialized...
11m3jty.jpg

This is a visitor they all had today
r25khs.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I'm smiling ear to ear Maggie. So happy they are with you. I think I'll gain a lot of insight from your style of handling and raising them. I can't wait to see how there personalities develop, as well as their shells. I picked that firecracker just for you. It would be an honor if you called him Bob Jr., but those are some big shoes to fill. I'm not nearly the story teller you are, but Bob is pretty similar to my Scooter who is the father of that baby. Seems like about a quarter of the babies have that personality and I love it. I try to put one of those in each bunch I send out. It seemed fitting that he go to the owner of one like Bob.

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
They are so adorable! I love the little holy terror, it is always fun to have an animal that keeps you on your toes :)

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Nice pictures Maggie :) The sulcatas look nice too :) Just don't understand the title of your thread. :p

Danny

M

Maggie Cummings

egyptiandan said:
Nice pictures Maggie :) The sulcatas look nice too :) Just don't understand the title of your thread. :p

Danny

If you spent any time here any more Danny you would know and understand the title of my thread.

Laura said:
big garter snake!
are these rescues?

No, I got them from Tom.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I wasn't really sure as to what the experiment actually was...but then I read the other thread.

Nice looking hatchlings

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Maggie, you wanted another sulcata,?? Let me see if I can find that BOB FOR SALE AGAIN thread!!!
I knew you deep down just love his antics!! Can't wait to hear Bob Jr's antics, he looks like hes ready to jump off in the first pic>.
Nay

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Tom said:
I'm smiling ear to ear Maggie. So happy they are with you. I think I'll gain a lot of insight from your style of handling and raising them. I can't wait to see how there personalities develop, as well as their shells. I picked that firecracker just for you. It would be an honor if you called him Bob Jr., but those are some big shoes to fill. I'm not nearly the story teller you are, but Bob is pretty similar to my Scooter who is the father of that baby. Seems like about a quarter of the babies have that personality and I love it. I try to put one of those in each bunch I send out. It seemed fitting that he go to the owner of one like Bob.

Gee, Tom, what a nice gesture for you to send Maggie a Bob Junior. Am I the only one sensing the sadistic undertones of your actions? And you do that to all your Sulcata-raising colleagues? :p

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
egyptiandan said:

Danny

Danny and for anybody else who has missed these last threads: Tom has taken his clutch of twelve hatchlings and divided them into four groups of three. He is keeping one group, sent one group each to Maggie and to Kristina. The last group will soon be sent to some mystery person. :shy:

Each group is being raised and housed in the different style of each caretaker. For real details you need to check each of the threads written about how they will be set up. Each week, on Mondays they are going to be weighed. It's a comparing of husbandry methods and how they grow in size, smoothness, and such.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I am loving this thread already, and excited for all of you who are "in the loop". This is about the only time I can remember wanting to live in a warmer climate with lots of land.
Wow! Stephanie, where ya been? I'm happy to see you again.

kendallllmcd

5 Year Member
TEXASSSS
hahahhaa my two babies sleeep just like #3 lol
all sprawled out like they have a pillow and everything lol
theyy are sooo cute!

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Schooool's. out. For. Summer!! :D

And may I just add that Maggie got the cutest batch of Sulcata babies ever. I do wonder about Bob's influence on them, though. Should that be considered an independent variable in the "experiment"? ;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Stephanie, I miss you. So glad to hear you chiming in!

Jacqui, perfect explanation. Thanks.

Terryo, if they gave out olympic medals for being nice, you'd win the gold!

I'll try not to wreck things by not posting my weights and pics often enough, but sometimes I'm just a little busy. My three from this batch are in the bird brooder box experiment, for anyone whose trying to keep track.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Jacqui said:
The last group will soon be sent to some mystery person. :shy:

Really? Is it you Jacqui??
Is it ME?! TOM!! You shouldn't have!! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.