Evolutionary egg question answered: turtle goo reduces oxygen

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Broomfield, Colorado
I suspect they're using the term "embryonic" in the colloquial sense. They're probably really referring to earlier stages, like the zygote or morula, when the developing animal is only a few cells big, and has not grown a heart, brain, or limbs yet. But we'd have to read the original research paper to know for sure. I'll see if I can find it.

Here ya go. Here's the publication website, and the scientific article itself (attached).

http://www.asnamnat.org/an/newpapers/FebRafferty.html

They don't use the terms "zygote" or "morula." Instead, they do use the term "embryo" throughout the paper. But again, they must be referring to really early stage, teeny-tiny embryos - small enough to arrest their development in hypoxia without dying, and to get jostled while their mother moves around.

Attachments

• Rafferty et al. 2013 - Reptile egg-laying.pdf
    447.1 KB · Views: 109

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Very interesting, It reminded me of the egg section in Popes, Turtles of the United States and Canada, first printed in 1939.Since I am such a slow typer I took pics of the pages, I know it is not the best, but hopefully you can read it,and it doesn't come out sideways when posted.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Thanks for posting this, Geo. It answers a question that has been perkolating in my mind for years. Do you think bird goo has the same oxygen-reducing effect?

emysbreeder

5 Year Member
tortadise said:
Nice article. Wonder what southern hemisphere(diapose required species) would throw into their research findings. It would seem it could apply to the same principle. But the "need" to wait is undermined but the knowing of cool and warmth to grow and stop and grow again. So essentially it throws a curve in the reality of the female waiting for perfect temps. it can work either way on starting points. Cool or hot. Good study. I like it. Also wonder what manouria would throw at them in the study in relative purpose to this concept of science. Seeing as they build the nest and covet their deposit of eggs..........end.
My phayrei have shown me a few things on egg laing. 1. They can start laying and then stop, and start back 30 days later. The eggs hatch 30 days apart and are fine. 2. They can lay two or three at a time, night and day all over the 4000sf encl. for 8 weeks after abandoning a nest she worked on for 40 days. Yes about all summer long. They will hatch. I dont think that group of reserchers no what they are takling about. They unlocked nothing....but a chest of grant money. Hobbyest have known about diapause for years maybe hundreds in Europe. Outside environmental clues, from being layed under water to traveling great distances ect. Hay maybe if they wait long enough they would be a live birth! Let the tortoises tell the story, even if it takes 20 years. Dont speak on their behalf to soon, they will make a fool out of you. Vic Morgan emysbreeders

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
emysbreeder said:
Outside environmental clues, from being layed under water to traveling great distances ect.

I'm not aware of any reptile that can lay its eggs underwater. That's in the realm of amphibians.

Status
Not open for further replies.