Enrichment

Loula

Location (City and/or State)
aberdeen
Hello, I volunteer at an animal rescue and there's 2 tortoise, maybe about 10inches long. They each have their own vivarium which is about 5ft x 2ft x 2ft. Personally I don't think they have enough room and they don't get outdoors. I'm not sure how much time they get out their vivarium at all. So I'm looking at ways to entertain them or give them some vivarium accessories which won't take up too much room.
There are plans to get them a proper enclosure which will have more space but this could take some time.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Foods are a great form of enrichment. The most common miss-application is using the wrong foods.

A good implementation is to offer different foods on different days, so over the week, they get a 'complete' variety. Color can be helpful to increase day to day variety. Some days add some small amount of rose petals or hibiscus blossoms. The next day leave them out.

A few zoos and private keepers have added a low branch or even a broom head so the tortoise can push under it. Many seem to like this and 'wiggle' in place to get more contact. Here's a video https://www.inquirer.com/video/philadelphia-zoos-tortoise-shell-scratcher-is-a-hit-20200721.html

Changing everything in an enclosure all at once is too much, but a once in awhile change, like adding a plant, or removing a plant (rock, hide etc.) can also be enriching.

Great topic.

Loula

aberdeen
I think its bigger than I've estimated but I've attached a picture.

Attachments

• IMG-20200704-WA0009.jpeg
    IMG-20200704-WA0009.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 81

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello, I volunteer at an animal rescue and there's 2 tortoise, maybe about 10inches long. They each have their own vivarium which is about 5ft x 2ft x 2ft. Personally I don't think they have enough room and they don't get outdoors. I'm not sure how much time they get out their vivarium at all. So I'm looking at ways to entertain them or give them some vivarium accessories which won't take up too much room.
There are plans to get them a proper enclosure which will have more space but this could take some time.
A 10" tortoise in a 5x2' enclosure is just inhumane. This can literally cause health problems. Tortoises need room to roam. I have an 8" tortoise in a 6x3' enclosure overnight right now, but she spends most of the day in a 35x40 outdoor enclosure with a big hill and lots of hiding areas.

Do what you can to get these tortoises into MUCH larger enclosures, and if they can't do that, they should give them away to someone who can.

Clueless Tortoise

Raleigh, NC
I think ( and others will agree) they should have a bigger enclosure because this is way to small and like @Tom said can cause health issues, but that's not really up to us, its up to the people that own them. As far as enrichment, there are tons of things you can do. My personal favorite is getting a cat dome with the rough grip on top, and they may climb on top. My tort loves to sleep under the dome, like its a hide, and always climbs on top and basks up there. You can also get a small dog toy, specifically the ball with the holes in it, and put their food and treats inside. My tort loves it, and it helps them problem solve how to get their food out. My tort (I've seen others do this too ) loves to push the ball around as well. Here are some images of what they look like and the ones I use:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 2.08.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 2.08.33 PM.png
    311.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 2.07.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 2.07.32 PM.png
    310.1 KB · Views: 8

Loula

aberdeen
I know its not good and I dont really have a say in where and how they are kept. I cant tell them to rehome either which I do think would be best. I believe they will eventually get better accommodation. We're also in Scotland so temperatures outdoors I guess will be a problem.
In their defense they rehabilitate and save a lot of wild animals and they try their best but time and resources are a big problem. As a charity they dont have a lot of spare cash to spread around. Can they go for 'walks' in Scottish climates?

Clueless Tortoise

Raleigh, NC
I wouldn't. Its too cold for them, but you can supervise them in a room ( not on cold floors tho) for a little exercise. Please read my post above on good enrichment activities that are simple, cheap, and effective.

Loula

aberdeen
Thanks for the practical suggestions. I can make some small changes for them which will hopefully give them some more enjoyment.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Foods are a great form of enrichment. The most common miss-application is using the wrong foods.

A good implementation is to offer different foods on different days, so over the week, they get a 'complete' variety. Color can be helpful to increase day to day variety. Some days add some small amount of rose petals or hibiscus blossoms. The next day leave them out.

A few zoos and private keepers have added a low branch or even a broom head so the tortoise can push under it. Many seem to like this and 'wiggle' in place to get more contact. Here's a video https://www.inquirer.com/video/philadelphia-zoos-tortoise-shell-scratcher-is-a-hit-20200721.html

Changing everything in an enclosure all at once is too much, but a once in awhile change, like adding a plant, or removing a plant (rock, hide etc.) can also be enriching.

Great topic.
I have several brush heads mounted in my enclosures

Attachments

• 20201021_230812.jpg
    20201021_230812.jpg
    1,012.3 KB · Views: 43