Enough UV light through double glazing?

Brian freeway

hi, I'm new to this.

Just built small outside shelter for spur thighed tortoise (see photo).
Put glass roof to maximise heat in there cos I live in London which is chilly even in summer.
My question is, the glass is double glazed, would this greatly reduce the UV he gets when he's in there?
Would you separate the glass and just put a single pane in there to max the UV? Or not bother.
Internet doesn't seem to have the answer.

Cheers
Brian

image.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Brian, and welcome to the Forum!

UVB doesn't go through glass, so it won't matter if its single or double. I feel your tortoise will get enough UVB when he's out in the yard, and you really don't have to worry about it.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
As Yvonne stated, UVB does not pass through glass, but that is not a concern as your tortoise will have plenty of outside time and doesn't need UVB exposure in the shelter. However, I would not use a glass top in a small shelter. Although UVB does not pass through glass, IR does indeed! Even where you are, on a full sunny day, a glass top over a small area will quickly heat up WAAAAYYYY to hot!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I agree with @Yvonne G
Don't worry about UVB inside the sleeping quarters.
Be concerned that the glass could make the enclosure into an oven, though. Sunlight doesn't always act the way you hope with glass.
(Think solar oven)
It's also what @Markw84 said.;)

Brian freeway

Thanks for all the replys.
Surely if it's too hot he'll just walk out wouldn't he?
I've tried normal roofs outside and he doesn't go in them, I think cos it's too cold in there.
I thought they are comfortable at 30 degrees centigrade and where I live we lucky if it ever gets near that. So I'd of thought even with glass it will be rare it gets over 30

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi there @Brian freeway... I am in Kent

Your shelter looks great. UVB won't pass through the glass, but it makes no odds as your tort will get enough UVB outside anyway. The only suggestion I would make is that you dig the earth under it so it's just soil. Your tort will love to dig down into it a little and snuggle in.

My tort Joe used a cold frame for many years with the same idea.

Have you seen this thread I put together about outdoor accommodation in the UK? You may find it helpful
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/outdoor-accommodation-in-a-colder-uk-climate.140866/

Brian freeway

Thanks that's great advice.
My 4 year old spur thigh lives in the garage in this set up. And I put him outside whenever the temp gets above about 15 centigrade.
Next winter is first hibernation. I'll buy a beer fridge to put him in. That's going to be scary - putting an animal in a box in the fridge for months, not looking forward to that

Cheers
Brian

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6