enema help

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
He has been receiving long warm soaks daily for the past 10ish days. I pick him up every day and i thought he would weigh more than he does, 5.8lbs.

With me, it is the moment of pick up that says a lot. Here I do not go out and play with the torts a lot during the day...I go in their space and offer any food supplements that I may have for them, I swish out their water bowls every couple of days (every day in the summer heat) and refill, I do stuff in their yards and also walk by them a few times each day....but the one thing that I do just about each day is the pick up..just a non invasive little lift up and right back down...if the tort makes me think, ah yeah...you feel heavy then he is all good, if there is even a moment where the thought of not heavy happens, I will offer up some wet type foods and offer up a drop into their water dish and gently run the hose over their shell and they usually will kinda just stay there while I walk away....then next lift check usually all heavy lifting (well, in relation to their size that is)...

I would imagine that tortoise has ingested some of that sand and that is never a good thing....eating some dirt or nibbling on a small rock and such is not the same as being housed on sand...sand gets stuck to everything eventually...I have had a California Desert Tortoise fully sand impacted, the prior person who hosted him finally gave me full access and control of what went on with the tort and I remember when I picked him up the first time, I thought something is completely wrong here...to look at the tort and to feel the tort did not match, he was only full of sand, and likely very little water intake because he had stopped moving, stopped basking, stopped participating in life..

noallawshe

5 Year Member
lake worth, FL
Sadly the tortoise died. The radiologist did not feel there was any sand. His decline was rapid and sudden. Thanks for everyones input.

Alaskamike

South Florida
I am sorry for your loss. I too have a youngish Sulcata.

Reading through this thread was informative. Things can go wrong - sometimes we do all we can and cannot make it right.

I hope you do not give up on keeping tortoises. You obviously care allot and did all you could.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Aw, darn it. Can you have a necropsy done?

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
Very sorry. I looked at the radiograph as well and didn't think there was an obvious obstruction present. I agree with Tom that another possible cause of this tortoise's decline has to be considered. Parasitic, toxin, viral. If you have no other animals than a necropsy would be academic. If you have others it would be a good idea if not already done. Unfortunately everything costs. Not to be about dollars and cents but a Sulcata is a 60$ tortoise. I have much more valuable tortoises in my collection. If something like this would have happened, I would spend every dollar to understand the cause so I don't have it happen again. I have routinely run fecals on my group, tested for Intranuclear Coccidia, Adenovirus, Mycoplasma.