Enclosure opinion please (indoor)

katfinlou

5 Year Member
Hi, ive read that an old bookcase would make a suitable tortoise table. What about an old set of drawers to extend what ive already got? Im fed up of waiting for pet shop guy to order the extension for my tiny vivexotic table so ive been wracking my brain for a bigger alternative and i figured these drawers laid flat and waterproof lined might work ok. Also if they were any good, could i use soil from my garden that has never had a chemical added to it in the 4.5 years ive lived here for substrate?ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1416312603.600139.jpg
This is what I have already and is painfully too small, she can't even fit into the hide...
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1416312698.658009.jpg

katfinlou

5 Year Member
Hi it's 36 inches high, 24 inches wide and 15 inches deep. I thought this along side the vivexotic table would be quite a nice size for my little Hermanns. It would make it much bigger than just adding another vivexotic extension

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Maybe take the drawers,out and use the cabinet. It would be easier to attach just the one cabinet then a bunch of drawers. However, either way wood work and as said, so will your yard soil.

katfinlou

5 Year Member
Yeah Wellington that's what I had in mind, just binning the drawers and using the frame. Just wondering now what to line it with... Does it have to be pond liner (which I don't have) or could i use tarpaulin or heavy duty plastic bin liners?

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
Heavy duty plastic would work fine. I just built a new enclosure yesterday and lined it with 10 mil thick plastic. The thicker the better but if you can only find the thin stuff get a large enough roll of it that you can fold it over itself to double, triple or even quadruple it.

katfinlou

5 Year Member
Thanks very much for the help, I think she's waited long enough for a decent enclosure. I can't wait to get started on it for her :)