Enclosure materials?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mow'scaretaker

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern Virginia
Hiya everyone! I have a few questions. I'm going to build an enclosure for my RF soon and I was wondering what woods are harmful to them? Also if anyone has any suggestions of what type that'd be awesome!!

Thanks!

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Trina, I'm not sure if you are talking about certain plants, or if your thinking about running fencing into the woods near you?
The plant thing is tricky if you can't tell what plants they are, but it seems that there are some many cites decicated to showing good and bad ones.
If the pen will go into the woods I think you really just need to worry about them getting out. I had what was I thought a pretty secure pen for the last 6 yrs and my little ornate somehow got out this year. I had her in with my two much larger RF's and they are fine. We also worry here about things like raccoons so I run hot wire along the side and on the top. It would seem more of a concern the closer you are getting to the woods. We wondered about wether a coon got my little Louise, but why would a tiny tort that burys herself so deep be taken and not the 2 larger meals? We also have bears that are close and always with beras it's food that attracks them. And they eat everything!!
Anyway the great thing about the woods would be himidity and hides I would think. You do need a certain amount of sun filtering in. Someone on this forum, did a sun and stick thing to figure out just how much sun would come where. Maybe you can find it, or someone else can direct you..
Good Luck and of course post pics!
Na

You know, I just reread your post and now wondered if your just worried about what king of wood to USE!!!! Duh. I am real quick some days..
Well since torts don't chew much I wouldn't worry too much. But anything like pressure treated will leach into the ground. And anything that isn''t will rot! It is a catch 22.
We just have fiberglass posts into the ground and ziptie white plastic lattice to it.. I have a fabric barrier inside so they can't see out.Inside is lined with cinder blocks and rocks so they can't go under. And we put it right up to the house so one side is wall.
Sorry for being dense.
Na

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
You can use any type of wood, as long as it is Polyurethaned sealed (recommended anyways). I would use 4-5 coats outside so it shouldn't have to be replaced.

If you don't want to Polyurethane I would use Poplar wood. It's fairly cheap and a bit durable. Oak, Pine etc could be harmful because of the fumes/saps inside. However if it's Outside, the fumes shouldn't do much, if anything. I wouldn't use pine/oak if inside and no polyurethane.

Always let the Polyurethaned wood dry out for a week (outside) before letting your animals come into contact. It needs time to air out.

Or you can go with pressure treated lumber. It's made to be outside and not rot in rains. [/i]It used to have arsenic, but no longer does due to health hazzards. The stuff that is used now has so little chemicles, animals could drink the water that the wood is sitting in and have no issues whatsoever. There ARE chemicles, just nothing that would do anything. Your tortoise would have to literally eat the wood for anything to happen, and the wood itself would kill it, not the chemicles.

I am personally going with pressure treated lumber, also Polyurethaned with 2 coats for double support. It will last a very very long time this way.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Plywood and pine are the easiest. I wouldn't use cedar or fir. Oak is fine but expensive (that was my first choice). Some people would say not to pine, but it's not as aromatic, and I have done the research to find that it is fine for the enclosure, but not the substrate. Plywood usually would require more work to finish it and make it look pretty (a lot of people paint it). I did mine out of pine and would have done so even if I didn't polyeurethane it. I let it sit for about 4 days after to de-fume, to the point when I stuck my nose right in it I couldn't smell anything. I haven't had anyone show me evidence of why not to use pine for the enclosure. Some people just aren't comfortable with it, but it's your choice. There is a long discussion thread about this somewhere if you search (I posted a lot on it but didn't start it). What about going to your local home improvement store or lumbar yard and report back what options you have in your price range?

Want to give us an idea of what size and design you're planning?

Status
Not open for further replies.