Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It is my practice to never toss tortoise eggs from the incubator until they either explode or collapse. So, seeing too many gnats flying around my house this a.m., I opened the incubator to see if I had some rotten eggs that are breeding gnats. Here's what it looked like:

eggs-1.jpg

If you look real close, you can see that the top row of eggs is moldy and collapsing. You can't see the gnats, but the incubator is FULL of them!! But wait...look again at the second row. There were 4 Eastern box turtle eggs, three of which never looked fertile. Take a close look at the second one from the left. Yep...a little guy trying to get out after only 47 days!

eggs-2.jpg

The two really white eggs on the bottom are from my biggest Manouria emys phayrei. She never built a nest, but I found these eggs behind her one morning. One of them has a pretty big dent, that's why I put some of the moist vermiculite on it. Then next to them is a new 3-toe egg that I put in there a couple days ago. It looks pretty good too. However the rest of the eggs in there look and smell pretty bad!!

Yvonne

terrypin

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Jersey C.I.
congratulations please be kind enough to post a picture when she is out.
terry

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Can't wait to see the pictures Yvonne when he/she is all the way out of the shell. Congratulation on your new little one. ;)

M

Maggie Cummings

Is he fully mature? I thought the incubation period was closer to 90 days for box turtles. Is he fully out now and looks normal?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
maggie3fan said:
Is he fully mature? I thought the incubation period was closer to 90 days for box turtles. Is he fully out now and looks normal?

SHE's not all the way out yet. Her plastron is still fully covered. But she looks mature.

100_0817.jpg

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
aww thats so neat! Say thankyou to those nats, or you prolly wouldn't have found her in time, right?

Can't wait for more pics!

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Yaaaay Yvonne !!! OH so exciting !!! Definitely can't wait for more pics :) So cuuute! Will hold thumbs for other fertile eggs

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I've had box turtles hatch in 45 days, so 47 days is very possible. She looks fine Yvonne. :D

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.