Egg pipped!

Status
Not open for further replies.

findingotis

5 Year Member
Hey all,

After a 159 day wait, my sole surviving Indian Star Egg (surface laid and first time mum) has finally pipped!

I did some research but I'm ridiculously eggcited that everything I read has gone out the window. Do I move the pipping egg to a tub with moist paper towels, or shall I wait til the fella is fully out? He was on sand (i know, i'm sorry) and I really wouldn't like for him to get anything stuck onto his yolk sac. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated too :)

Heres a photo of the my little eggling... It's already 130am in these parts, looks like no sleep for me tonight.

Attachments

• photo.jpeg
    photo.jpeg
    86.1 KB · Views: 136

pochito

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
fort lauderdale
awesome! congrats!. I'd put him in paper towels but make sure he doesn't roll all over the place. Also make sure the temp stays warm. Good luck!

Weldd

10 Year Member!
Congratulations! That never gets old. Every single time I have something hatch I get just as excited as the first time.

Make sure to post pics when he/she emerges...

findingotis

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone! Will definitely post pics as he/she emerges. I do not know how you all have done this in the past! So nerve wrecking!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
findingotis said:
Thanks everyone! Will definitely post pics as he/she emerges. I do not know how you all have done this in the past! So nerve wrecking!

It might take a couple of days, he will pick and spin inorder to get the egg opened. Always exciting!

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
I wouldn't touch it at all at this point.... Also, keep it out of the light. When babies hatch and have belly buttons stuck to them (which most do, right out of the egg), they will start being active, walking around, etc if the lights are on. If it's dark, they'll sit still and absorb what's left of their belly. Every time I open a half-hatched group of babies, within about 30 seconds in the light, they're all running around and I worry that they'll tear their umbilical. It's best to just leave it alone at this point. They don't need paper towels or anything on your part. It's gotten this far with what you've done, I wouldn't risk messing it up.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
A new wonder is starting to emerge. Even vicariously, it feels like one of my own is hatching.

findingotis

5 Year Member
Thanks again for everyone's congratulatory words as well as advice. The little fella is taking his sweeeeet sweeeeeet time, as if 159 days to pip wasn't a long enough wait. There's a hole in the egg where I can see the occasional foot, sometimes a nose as he spins in the egg. Can wait til he's ready to say hello!

Will keep updating :)

Sky2Mina

10 Year Member!
Bangkok
Oh, that is so exciting! I can't wait to see the little guy. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.