Edible ?

tortoiseowner101

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Abu Dhabi ,UAE
Today I picked up cactus pads around Ferrari world. Can I feed them to my torts ?
ImageUploadedByTortForum1394438751.889805.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just curious - what kind of engines do those cars run on? If it is combustion engines, the cactus might be covered with whatever comes out of the exhaust pipes.

My personal opinion is that I would look for cactus that didn't have so many big spines on it. There are many varieties of the so-called spineless cactus.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Yvonne G said:
Just curious - what kind of engines do those cars run on? If it is combustion engines, the cactus might be covered with whatever comes out of the exhaust pipes.

My personal opinion is that I would look for cactus that didn't have so many big spines on it. There are many varieties of the so-called spineless cactus.

I agree. I wouldn't feed any plants taken from along roadways or parking lots. What you can do with a cactus (and some other plants) is to take cuttings and root them. As the plant grows you'll be able to harvest food from it that is safe for your tortoise.

tortoiseowner101

5 Year Member
Abu Dhabi ,UAE
Dizisdalife said:
Yvonne G said:

I agree. I wouldn't feed any plants taken from along roadways or parking lots. What you can do with a cactus (and some other plants) is to take cuttings and root them. As the plant grows you'll be able to harvest food from it that is safe for your tortoise.
does that mean i can take the cuttings from there and wash them then root them and grow them after new growth is present ?
will they be pesticide free after rooting them and placing them in new soil ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Basically, yes...what you would do is feed the new growth, not the original pad.