EBT won't go to the bathroom - seems to try

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZooKeeper89

5 Year Member
My 3-legged eastern box turtle, Esther, has not gone to bathroom in a few weeks, at least. I soak her and her sister 3 to 4 times a week (usually before I feed them) and while Olive usually always goes, Esther won't. The problem though is that I can see her working on getting something out (which I am assuming is poop, unless she's really a boy, and then I suppose it could be something else) but after a while she stops. I've left her alone for a while because she still eats normally and her activity level has not seemed to change. Then on friday, when I soaked them, I could hear her breathing. It wasn't really wheezing, but I don't normally hear her breath. When I soaked her today, she was fine, except that she couldn't seem to go again. Before I bring her in to the vet, does anyone have any suggestions? I know someone who gave their iguana benefiber to help it poop regularly but I don't know if that is safe for a small turtle. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Put her in the bath tub with warm water. Let her walk all over the bath tub, hopefully she will move around a lot trying to get out. The warm water and all the walking around sometimes gets things moving. Good luck. Hopefully someone will have more ideas to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.