Eat Your Greens

SuzanneZ

Location (City and/or State)
Georgetown
Eat your greens

Southerners consume acres and acres of greens other people feed to cows. I believe in greens. From what I'm reading here and there mustard greens and turnip greens aren't big staples for tortoises. I feed them to my two because they're plentiful and inexpensive at a time drought and poisonings have killed the wild greens they relish. To give hard facts I looked up the two greens'
nutrient numbers so you don't have to. (an incomplete list and I used multiple sources)

Mustard - protein 1.6 g, fiber 1.8 g., sugar 0.7 g, vitamin C 39.2 mg, calcium 64 mg, phosphorus 58.8 mg

Turnips - protein 1.64 g, fiber 5.04 g, sugar .76 g, vitamin C 60 mg, calcium 104.5 mg, phosphorus 41.76 mg

Last edited by a moderator:
Morroco
Wait, I'm feeding them turnip leaves, not the turnip itself. is that a mistake + Can you attach a photo of The Motard if you can so that I can get it
Eat your greens

Southerners consume acres and acres of greens other people feed to cows. I believe in greens. From what I'm reading here and there mustard greens and turnip greens aren't big staples for tortoises. I feed them to my two because they're plentiful and inexpensive at a time drought and poisonings have killed the wild greens they relish. To give hard facts I looked up the two greens'
nutrient numbers so you don't have to. (an incomplete list and I used multiple sources)

Mustard - protein 1.6 g, fiber 1.8 g., sugar 0.7 g, vitamin C 39.2 mg, calcium 64 mg, phosphorus 58.8 mg

Turnips - protein 1.64 g, fiber 5.04 g, sugar .76 g, vitamin C 60 mg, calcium 104.5 mg, phosphorus 41.76 mg

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Wait, I'm feeding them turnip leaves, not the turnip itself. is that a mistake + Can you attach a photo of The Motard if you can so that I can get it
Turnip root should not be fed, only leaves. So no mistake here.

Turnip and mustard belong to brassica family (I hope I'm not wrong). Here is the list of plants from Brassica to check (including several mustard species):

Morroco
Turnip root should not be fed, only leaves. So no mistake here.

Turnip and mustard belong to brassica family (I hope I'm not wrong). Here is the list of plants from Brassica to check (including several mustard species):
Good, for wheat,maize and barley grass ,just grass.How many days a week can I feed him with a good diet?, because these herbs that I mentioned are in the garden and my tortoise gnaw them daily, should I worry?.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Good, for wheat,maize and barley grass ,just grass.How many days a week can I feed him with a good diet?, because these herbs that I mentioned are in the garden and my tortoise gnaw them daily, should I worry?.
If it's only the grass - there is no problem feeding them. Don't feed grain and corn cobs.

If possible, provide other food everyday. You live in a warm climate and maybe can get hibiscus, mulberry or grape leaves, opuntia pads. Food variety is important.

Morroco
There is hibiscus in the garden, my tortoise loves it very much, I also give it cucumbers, carrots (once a month) ,eats coleus from the garden, romaine lettuce, beet leaves, turnip leaves, radish leaves, coriander and cress..
If it's only the grass - there is no problem feeding them. Don't feed grain and corn cobs.

If possible, provide other food everyday. You live in a warm climate and maybe can get hibiscus, mulberry or grape leaves, opuntia pads. Food variety is important.

Morroco
Feed just the leaves; that's why people use the term greens. I eat the roots, I don't know if tortoises should.
Yes, because I know tortoise don't eat turnips themselves, that's why I was surprised 😲 when you said. What's your specie tortoise?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Eat your greens

Both of these are fine foods in moderation as part of a varied diet. Neither should be staples.

The mustard greens have a poor calcium to phosphorus ratio, so that would be a good day add a calcium supplement to the food.

Is the above info for "turnips" as it says, or turnip greens?

Also, there is no scale for these numbers. 1.6 grams of protein per how much mustard greens?

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
Both of these are fine foods in moderation as part of a varied diet. Neither should be staples.

The mustard greens have a poor calcium to phosphorus ratio, so that would be a good day add a calcium supplement to the food.

Is the above info for "turnips" as it says, or turnip greens?

Also, there is no scale for these numbers. 1.6 grams of protein per how much mustard greens?
🤣🤣🤣No , I mean your tortoise specie!!

🤣🤣🤣No , I mean your tortoise specie!!
Russian

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
(an incomplete list and I used multiple sources)

it appears that you used nutrition info not just from different sources, but for different quantities. The calcium listed for both was based on 1 cup (55/56g), while the phosphorous for both was based on 100g. The actual ca : p for both is about twice what one would figure from your numbers. Around 2 for mustard greens and 4.5 for turnip greens.

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
it appears that you used nutrition info not just from different sources, but for different quantities. The calcium listed for both was based on 1 cup (55/56g), while the phosphorous for both was based on 100g. The actual ca : p for both is about twice what one would figure from your numbers. Around 2 for mustard greens and 4.5 for turnip greens.