Eastern hermanns tortoise sex. Help.

Opm21

Hello,

So I have two eastern hermanns tortoises. Had them since April of 2016. When I first got them, one was larger than the other. According to the seller, he said the larger one is the female. I've noticed that both have gotten a little bit bigger but the smaller one is nearly identical to the same size as the "female". The first pic with me pointing the finger towards the end of the shell is the "female".

But I've looked at sites and they said the male tends to have a larger tail. Both of their tails look ver similar.

Attachments

• IMG_2972.JPG
    IMG_2972.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2978.JPG
    IMG_2978.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2990.JPG
    IMG_2990.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2992.JPG
    IMG_2992.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2993.JPG
    IMG_2993.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 39

teresaf

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Port Charlotte, Florida
Two girls are better anyway. People shouldn't keep tortoises in pairs but if you're going to two girls is the best way to go. Two males will fight or bully each other and a male female pair is discouraged due to bullying and the male wanting to breed female all the time...

Groups or singles are encouraged. If bullying happens it's spread out amongst the group not aimed at only one tortoise. Also It's much easier to find a male than a female for sale. All you need is a male now. You lucked out.

Opm21

Two girls are better anyway. People shouldn't keep tortoises in pairs but if you're going to two girls is the best way to go. Two males will fight or bully each other and a male female pair is discouraged due to bullying and the male wanting to breed female all the time...

Groups or singles are encouraged. If bullying happens it's spread out amongst the group not aimed at only one tortoise. Also It's much easier to find a male than a female for sale. All you need is a male now. You lucked out.

One time, the larger one got upset when I replaced the substrate and kind of "bullied" the other one. They both didn't sleep in their spot for a few days. But that was basically it.