Ear Infection?

STayl02

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
Hello all! Does this look like the beginning of an ear infection or did he just scrape it on something? He’s still active and eating like normal.
Thanks in advance!E58F28B0-F3BE-45EB-BF0F-B60EF90D78E8.jpeg

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Agreed, I dont like the look of that. It is possible it has somehow ripped the scale off but Im honestly not sure. Can we see a picture of your torts face, what I can see of the eye socket looks a bit odd to me as well.

STayl02

Kansas
Here you go. He cooperated a little better for a photo this time :)A53810A5-DB22-4A46-855C-A04AB7C835BE.jpeg

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Thanks, the eye is definitely fine, the beak needs a trim, but still not sure about the mark on the ear scale still looks a bit odd but not quite as worrying in that photo. Monitor it closely for a few days and if redness increases or anything that looks worse, get him to a vet.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've never seen that with the infection, so let's just hope it's a minor scrape.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thanks, the eye is definitely fine, the beak needs a trim, but still not sure about the mark on the ear scale still looks a bit odd but not quite as worrying in that photo. Monitor it closely for a few days and if redness increases or anything that looks worse, get him to a vet.
I agree the second full head photo looks much better. I'm thinking the scale loss caused the mark. I would just be sure to keep it clean. If it starts looking worse, put some over the counter antibiotic cream on it. I'm thinking it will clear up fine with no problems.