Duke

sori leno

Hi my name is sori, i recently got a tortoise named Duke about a week ago and i want to find out information on how to care for him. Im doing everything that the pet store told me to do but it doesnt seem like the right way to care for him. He has a cut on his shell what do i do for it? I also never see him going into his water bowl to drink. He is not being so active and but when i feed him he eats normaly. He has a heat lamp and a uvb lamp and he just sits in the corner under the lamp and doesnt move unless he wants to eat. Hes in a 45 gallon tank. What do i do with the cut on his shell and am i caring for him the right way??

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Post some pictures of the cut and the enclosure so we can better help you . Welcome to TFO .

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Doing everything the pet store tells you to do is often a recipe for disaster. It leads to spending a lot of money on totally useless equipment. It does not provide the right environment or diet for your animal. This is a broad blunt statement, and not reassuring, but you need to hear this at the start so you can take care of your tortoise. Read the care sheet here.

I still feel sorrow over the pet store advice I followed in the past.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Hello Sori, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
He may just be a bit inactive because he's in a new environment and it takes time for a tortoise to adjust and feel secure.
This is normal.
We need to know at least the type of tortoise and, if at all possible, please post photos of your tort and his enclosure and cut so we can help you and him.
For now, make sure the cut is clean and keep your tortoise warm.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We need to what species you've got and what heating and lighting equipment you are using. Pet sorts tend to sell you all the wrong stuff.

Are you using a coil type UV bulb?
Did they sell you one of those ramped water bowls?
What substrate are you using?
What are your four temperature? Warm side, cool side, basking area and overnight low?

We will need to see a pic of the crack to advise on that.

This should help:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Sori! I'll be waiting to see your pictures.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Welcome to the forum. Hopefully we can help you correct any misinformation you received from the pet store before your tort suffers from it.