Dry Skin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Padme

10 Year Member!
Heyy
My sulcata has dry skin around his face that is kind of ashey. He is about 6 months old. Can I put something on it? Lotion?

Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
No. It's perfectly normal for a desert-type tortoise to have flakey skin around the neck area when they are babies. Some folks have said that soaking more often seems to relieve this condition.

Yvonne

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
As torts grow they naturally shed their skin. You should not pick at it. Soaking can help this, so can some ambient humidity, as recommended by a reputable care sheet for the particular species. In the wild torts never have anything on their skin, so to best mimic their natural environment I believe in going as natural as possible. Some products even if manufactured for tortoises can be harmful, such as products for their shells (waxes ans such). Best wishes.

A

adambrown81

Hey Padme,
One of the easiest things that you can do is to increase your water intake. 6-8 8oz glasses a day should be enough to help.
Thanks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
adambrown81 said:
Hey Padme,
One of the easiest things that you can do is to increase your water intake. 6-8 8oz glasses a day should be enough to help.
Thanks.

Hi Adam: We were talking about Padme's tortoise. A sulcata is a turtle-type animal. But thanks for the water hint. I'm sure none of us keeps ourselves as hydrated as we should! :D

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.