Do you moisturise your tort's shell?

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Winnipeg, MB
I think the majority of us just soak and/or spray out torts. Applying anything to their shell isn't really recommended, as it's not natural.

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Soaks work the best for a nice, hydrated shell. I'm not really sure how cream would work! I'm thinking it wouldn't just adsorb into the bone, right?

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I use a little olive oil on the lines between the scutes about once every month or so. Only if it looks a little dry and I apply it with a q-tip.

aztortoisegal

Interesting, someone pointed out that my juvenile sulcata showed signs of being dry. Ok, so what does soaking entail? Putting the tortoise in a bowl of water that he can't get out for awhile, ensuring that he also can't drown while he's in there? I spray mine off with a hose everyday and scrub his shell with a toothbrush when he's muddy, he seems to enjoy it. But should I be making him soak as well?

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
Interesting, someone pointed out that my juvenile sulcata showed signs of being dry. Ok, so what does soaking entail? Putting the tortoise in a bowl of water that he can't get out for awhile, ensuring that he also can't drown while he's in there? I spray mine off with a hose everyday and scrub his shell with a toothbrush when he's muddy, he seems to enjoy it. But should I be making him soak as well?
soaking is a must for baby torts! when sulcatas hatch it is the rainy season very wet and humid. soak your torts around 4 times a week because of his size.

aztortoisegal

Whew....ok then! I'm so glad I joined and am finding all this stuff out. Glad I was able to "rescue" this guy from the obvious neglect he was being inflicted at his former home. Never any water provided, tiny enclosure devoid of most sunlight, and only lettuce to eat. I screwed up and allowed him to get mauled by a dog when he first moved in, but he's got quite a nice castle to call home now, and good food. And ample sunlight and shade, several burrows to choose from, and a human mom who likes to scratch his head and scrub his shell. :D Sorry, went on a little long there, just excited about my new companion, and want to make sure I care for him correctly.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Hatchlings should get a 20-minute soak daily. Most people do this until they're about a year old. Then they need about 3-4 soaks per week. My guys have started self soaking in the past few months. They're adults and I got them only last year. The previous owner said she soaked them once a week. In addition to soaking them, i spray them daily.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1411332677.693786.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1411332862.621255.jpg

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

aztortoisegal

Thank you! So is mine still considered a hatchling? He's about six inches long, a Sulcata.

Yourlocalpoet

5 Year Member
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
I use a little olive oil on the lines between the scutes about once every month or so. Only if it looks a little dry and I apply it with a q-tip.

I used to do this too. Sometimes a few drops in the bath water after my tortoise had finished drinking. I'd do this every once every couple of months. I'd guess that coconut oil is probably better than olive oil too.

It's not 'necessary' and I don't know if it helped her shell grow any smoother or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tortoise Forum

Elnewman622

OH, Usa
I personally use this cream called vita shell I have seen many improvements with it . When I got my tortoise his shell was very dry and I used this once and it works wonders . I use it only when it looks dry . But this is just my opion

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I would suggest that oil and water don't mix. By applying any type of oil to the surface of the shell by default will prevent the natural absorption of water and could really counter any good that's being done by daily misting and soaking.

elbieregan

Thanks for all the great replies! When I rescued my aquatic turtle (he lived in about 5 gal of water, now has 50+) he came with a shell conditioner. I know aquatic turtles are different but I was thinking coconut oil seemed more natural than the conditioner which has "turtle" and "tortoise" on the label.

Also, I've only sprayed him down and he kinda walks through his water dish. Should the water be skin temperature for a soak?

Yourlocalpoet

5 Year Member
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
I would suggest that oil and water don't mix. By applying any type of oil to the surface of the shell by default will prevent the natural absorption of water and could really counter any good that's being done by daily misting and soaking.

I agree with this and there has been plenty of debate on this forum in the past about vita shell etc. There's justified concern that oil can also trap dirt on the shell, and possibly cause overheating. I'm not sure about the latter but both are valid points.

With moisture playing an integral role in the tortoise shell growing smooth, it's also valid to say oil can be beneficial in the sense that it provides a lubricant between scute lines and prevents the shell from drying out.

All I can say is from my experience oil hasn't had any detrimental effects but as I said, I don't know if it has helped my tortoise grow smooth or simply has had no effect at at all.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1411413929.700130.jpg

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I agree with this and there has been plenty of debate on this forum in the past about vita shell etc. There's justified concern that oil can also trap dirt on the shell, and possibly cause overheating. I'm not sure about the latter but both are valid points.

With moisture playing an integral role in the tortoise shell growing smooth, it's also valid to say oil can be beneficial in the sense that it provides a lubricant between scute lines and prevents the shell from drying out.

All I can say is from my experience oil hasn't had any detrimental effects but as I said, I don't know if it has helped my tortoise grow smooth or simply has had no effect at at all.

View attachment 96958

I learned the whole vita-shell debate after I got and used mine over a few months (as often as the instructions allowed) and I know it did help with the shell greatly when water wouldn't (and oils probably work the same), but Nank was from a pet store and a year in with proper care he still had some severely dry patches on his shell so I got some vita-shell and used tin bits on the dry spots and after a few uses the shell restored itself and the dry patches were gone. But I do understand the argument against, and I haven't used it since because theres been no need, but it did the final bit of improvement I'd needed.

So to answer the original question, I have when it was in need of it badly, but since there's been no dry spots and I haven't since it would be pointless.

tortoise_luvergirl

5 Year Member
soaking is a must for baby torts! when sulcatas hatch it is the rainy season very wet and humid. soak your torts around 4 times a week because of his size.
whew! I was worried I was oversoaking willow when she was a hatchling becuz I was soaking her every other day and keeping her enclosure quite moist at 80%. She is a yr old now but I do soak her at least twice a week, as well as have a basin of fresh water for her at all times in her enclosure. She still LOVES the warm water soaks though. I did use Vita shell a couple times but it really is a waste and messy. it's like rubbing wax on their shell becuz it just don't absorb and makes everything stick to them. Soaking is much better and natural.