Do torts get tired of eating same old, same old?

Status
Not open for further replies.

miss_kristyn

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Okay, so I was growing my own food, but awhile ago I posted the nats were horrible! So, that grass was put outside and now is totally dead! Which all grass over Texas is dead due to we are in like the worst drought in 10 years. So, my torts have been eating bok choy. Well, it seems the sulcata isn't eating it as much. I have tried collard greens before but they hated it and I have tried the hays and they wouldn't give it the time or day. But, I also read most torts wont touch hays until two years old, so mine still have a couple months till 2 years old. So, my question is do torts get tired of eating the same old stuff? Should I start searching for other foods? I have looked at the list of safe foods on the forum, but most of those I have searched for and have been unsuccessful in finding OR the stores don't have the food labeled all the way. Example: there are two types of cabbages at HEB... all say just "cabbage"? So, like on the list when it specifies like Nappa cabbage is that a certain cabbage or all cabbages? I just don't want to hurt the little ones.... any suggestions?

* I am going to try and grow again in the winter, but with 110 degree heat and a record of 70+ days over 100 degrees I don't think the heat is going anywhere fast.*

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
Look at this wedsite i found about feeding torts.
http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/webdiet.htm

I am a new owner and i am sure dont know as much as you, but i have had a great teacher and am learning fast.

How about romain lettuce? tried that?
Dandelion greens? if you dont have the weeds in the yard, what about a local feed store?
vitamins? i have a drop of bird liquid vitamins in there bath when i bath them, also i tend to mist them and have a drop of vitamins. I do a very small amount. Its basicly to get vitamin A. then i have a cuttlebone i scrap off shavings of calcium for them. They get enough sun light for d3.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Bok Choy is an ok food for Asian tortoises, but shouldn't be fed to your African tortoise. Little sulcatas will eat Spring Mix. That's a packaged mixture of baby greens. To the little pile of Spring Mix you can add a pinch of chopped up and moistened hay, a couple leaves from a dandelion that you found in your back yard, and while you're in the back yard, look for a bit of clover, dichondra or even a few blades of grass...a bit of a mulberry tree leaf and maybe a grape leaf. There are just way more things you can feed your little sulcata besides things that aren't good for him, like bok choy or cabbage.

Yvonne

And if you're unfamiliar with the looks of the greens, ask your produce manager to show you what the endive, escarole and turnip greens look like. He'll be glad to make a sale!

miss_kristyn

5 Year Member
Texas
The tortoises were originally feed spring mix before I got them. The problem with the Spring Mix that I hate other than the cost, the bags are small and it goes bad so quick. And since the previous owner fed them that and they are pyramided I just figured that probably wasn't helping them and they weren't getting the correct nutrition from it. And no I do not have any weeds... there is nothing :p (COME ON RAIN)! My grass is dirt! All of Austin is except for golf courses... I will buy them some spring mix today... I have been informed by many people even on this site Romaine is not good for an everyday food.

On this forum it had bok choy as good well can be fed 85% of the time. http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-5823.html

I know many people use Carolina pet supply as so do I so has anyone ordered this?
http://www.carolinapetsupply.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=33&products_id=275
How long does it last?

I can go to HEB or Wal-Mart and ask about the other foods about endive and etc. But, I know most of those people could careless and have no idea what any of that stuff is... :p I have been using googles images to remember what the plants or leaves look like but it is funny once you go to produce cause it basically looks the same lol. But, Thank YOU!

Okay update to the last post I called Wal-Mart and Target... HEB worker hung up on me. They do not sell endive and escarole. So... are those plants sold at places like Lowes or Home Depot or a plant nursery?

In the meantime I will buy some more Spring Mix, but I rather that not be their main diet due to what I posted last.

M

Maggie Cummings

You have one of our most experienced keepers telling you to feed Spring Mix and you are arguing with her...She's using years of experience to help you...your torts are not pyramided because of Spring Mix, there are 3 other factors much more the problem...they need about 70% humidity that's the very most important thing involved in pyramiding, they need exercise, in the wild they walk for miles to get their food. In captiviety they eat and sleep. Put your torts outside and make them walk around, and lastly what causes pyramiding is not enough quality UVB, so get a new bulb I recomend a 100 watt Trex for smaller torts and a 250 watt Trex for bigger torts and again putting them outside for the sun is important.

So there is 4 things involved in preventing pyramiding...
1. humidity.
2. a wide variety of healthy food.
3. exercise
4.quality UVB

After you open the package of Spring Mix take the product out of that bag and put it all into a gallon sized zip lock bag with a paper towel in the bottom, then put it into the very back of your refrigerator where it is the coldest. That should keep the Spring Mix for about 3 weeks. I add other stuff to the Spring Mix, whatever is in the produce section, radicchio, endive, escarole, kale, collards etc.and I also walk around my neighborhood and collect weeds, blossoms and leafs, grape leafs mulberry leafs, I cut all that I collect into small pieces and add that to the Spring Mix, I forgot to mention I also cut up the Spring Mix into small pieces as well. If you have a small tortoise cut the stuff up small. I don't expect you to buy all the stuff I just mentioned and make a giant tortoise salad from it all, but every few days buy something different and add that to the salad.
It sounds like you might be having trouble with your tortoise, what I do is wake him up first thing in the morning, I put him in a warm bath to soak while I collect all the poop and dead food from yesterday out of his habitat, I add water to the substrate and mix it all around. Then I either put him in front of fresh food in his habitat or I put him outside in front of fresh food. I do that same routine everyday to get the animal into the routine of eating at the same time in the same place everyday. I believe that routine is something that is overlooked in tort husbandry. If you are having problems with a tortoise follow what I have just written down for you and in a few days he will start eating.
I hope this helps you, and I hope it is the advice you were looking for.

Oh and Bok Choy is not good for Sulcata tortoises.

miss_kristyn

5 Year Member
Texas
Okay for one I was not arguing it is called a statement! You dont have to be so dang rude to me! I was just saying the reason why I don't buy it. And yes I have a routine I am not stupid! My tortoises are like my children when I wake my children up I wake up the tortoises by turning on there lights taking them out of their cage so they can roam and clean up feces! I was stating the reason why I dont use spring mix was if you read correctly was due to cost cause they eat it up every two days, the bag size (have one car and am a daily student that doesn't have time to go to HEB everyday), so I am not going to stock up bags of it just to rot! I am looking for something that will last aka ALTERNATIVES!!! I don't mean to jump your bones but please cut people slack and read correctly!
So, yes I will feed them spring mix but no it wont be daily I will find alternatives... and that is why I posted not to fight! I know people are smarter than me that is why I ask! And I do have a right to state the reason why I dont want to use spring mix and it isnt because I believe it is bad!

Also they have the correct UVB. They have the correct husbrandy. They get exercise and have the correct temps and humidity!

The pyramiding isn't from me from the previous owner.... the Russian who has pyramiding has STOPPED and her shell is rounding.....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Go to a regular grocery store, not Wal-Mart. Most produce sections in the grocery store carry endive and escarole. Its with the lettuce and its usually 2 for $3. You don't need to buy much. Just buy one head of endive today. Take it home and wash it. Dry it good and place it in a plastic bag with a paper towell in the bottom. It should last at least a week. So this week he eats only endive. Next week you buy a head of escarole and care for it the same as previously stated. The following week you buy a small bag of Spring Mix, and the following week, buy one bunch if turnip greens. You get the picture. You don't have to buy a whole bunch of stuff that is just going to go rotten in the fridge...just one head or one bunch at a time. And towards the end of the week, if it looks like that head's not going to last, wash it again real good and make yourself a salad with tomatoes, cucumber, avacado and lots of dressing! :D

Yvonne

Oh...and that 85% bok choy thing: That means that 85% of his meal today can be bok choy. It doesn't mean that you can feed him all the time bok choy. There's a whole list of foods to choose from, but don't just pick one item and feed it all the time.

miss_kristyn

5 Year Member
Texas
Oh I see on the 85% thing! Yeah see that was the cool thing about bok choy that stuff last! And yeah I found out from calling a friend we have a lot of healthy produce places that have exotic foods/produce that other places don't carry. So, I am going to check it out today after school! I just ordered some more seeds for watercress, endive and that escarole thing. I am going to buy a little green house at the end of this month or next. But, still going to hope for some RAIN! Yeah, I am going to start switching the food up more, but I just haven't found anything! So, hopefully those places will have it and if not back to making daily trips till the seeds get here and grow :p
But thank you Emysemys for correcting me on the misread!!! Your awesome!!!

aktech23

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I don't think tortimer will ever get tired of chomping on my grass.

M

Maggie Cummings

miss_kristyn said:
Okay for one I was not arguing it is called a statement! You dont have to be so dang rude to me! I was just saying the reason why I don't buy it. And yes I have a routine I am not stupid! My tortoises are like my children when I wake my children up I wake up the tortoises by turning on there lights taking them out of their cage so they can roam and clean up feces! I was stating the reason why I dont use spring mix was if you read correctly was due to cost cause they eat it up every two days, the bag size (have one car and am a daily student that doesn't have time to go to HEB everyday), so I am not going to stock up bags of it just to rot! I am looking for something that will last aka ALTERNATIVES!!! I don't mean to jump your bones but please cut people slack and read correctly!
So, yes I will feed them spring mix but no it wont be daily I will find alternatives... and that is why I posted not to fight! I know people are smarter than me that is why I ask! And I do have a right to state the reason why I dont want to use spring mix and it isnt because I believe it is bad!

Also they have the correct UVB. They have the correct husbrandy. They get exercise and have the correct temps and humidity!

The pyramiding isn't from me from the previous owner.... the Russian who has pyramiding has STOPPED and her shell is rounding.....

I gave you some extensive excellent advice and I don't deserve the way you have just now talked to me. You DID argue with Yvonne and now you are being extremely rude to me. I worked very hard just now to offer you advice to help you with what seems to be trouble with a young tortoise. I was not rude to you, I did not fight with you, I just wanted you to stop for a minute and see how your response looks to someone who has years of experience and tried to help you. I simply pointed out that you were arguing with advice given to you by Yvonne.
So not only did I give you an example of how I care for my tortoises, I offered you advice on caring for yours and I also showed you how to keep the Spring Mix so it doesn't go bad. Your direct quote is "the bags are small and it goes bad so quick." So I was telling you how to make it keep longer. You didn't say they eat it up too fast, I just now printed what you said. The bag goes bad. I showed you how to make it last longer.
But the bottom line for me here is that I was not rude to you, I gave you good advice answering the problems you yourself said you were having. I went back several times and reread what just transpired and while you DID just now YELL at me, I was not even slightly rude to you. I pointed out the disrespect you were giving to an experienced keeper and I gave you some really good advice in response to your post. So I will back out now and I simply won't reply to any of your posts.

miss_kristyn

5 Year Member
Texas
Thank You for backing out and taking the stance of not replying to anymore of my post.... it will help out much.

missjojosmith

5 Year Member
Yes tortoise will get tired of eating the same thing everyday! Switch up the food listen to Yvonne speaks good advise!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Miss Kris, I have gone back and read most of your posts since you became a member in Dec. 2008. If you do not want to use the spring mix for your torts that’s fine, it's your choice. But using spring mix is convenient for most newer keepers, during winter or times other produce is difficult to obtain. It gives a variety and is quite healthy if you add other things to it and makes for a fairly balanced meal. Outside grazing is the best for a tortoise but I do not know too many keepers in the USA that have indigenous plants for their tortoises in a variety in their back yard. There are alternatives. And talking with your produce manager is a good way to find out just what they have. Mine started carrying dandelions (when in season) because I had a good talk with him about my owning torts and had a list in my hand of good food choices for them. Take a list with you when you talk with him or her. Chicory, endive, escarole, cactus, red leaf or green leaf lettuce & wheat grass are some good choices but remember they need a variety. A lot of pet stores or health food markets carry Wheat grass, radicchio and other tort safe foods, even organic, but then the price is much higher. But both of your torts need a variety. No tort will sustain life on one or two greens fed most of the time.
To answer your question when it specifies Nappa cabbage that is a certain type of cabbage. Not all cabbage is created equal. I have just gotten some of the Carolyna tort salad and it is pretty much dry grasses. My little sully won't touch it but he will eat green wheat grass and spring mix. I know this tort diet thing is difficult. If it wasn’t there would be no postings about it and all torts that should be smooth would be smooth. I am glad your friend has told you about other shopping choices. I was going to recommend Costco for spring mix, If you can get it there it is much cheaper and a larger container.

Torts are not easy animal they take a lot of care and sacrifice especially young ones. I know I have hatched a few.

And believe me I understand about droughts, I think CA is in a perpetual one. But you will be happy to know I checked the weather in Austin and it looks like you have a 20% chance of rain over the next week and some temps in the 90's :) - Tomorrow the temp here is suppose to be 109+ :( infact for the next week.

Maggie3fan talked about lighting. Are you aware that UVB bulbs unless they are the Mercury Vapor Bulbs (MVB) will only last about 6 months then need to be replaced. I mention this because you stated in another thread that you had two clamp lights that were about 24 watts. So from that I know you did not have a MVB. So it is about time to change out that UVB bulb. :cool: MVBs are much more expensive but I feel give better ultra violet rays more like the suns and lasts about a year. I would steer clear of the coil bulbs they have been known to injure the eyes and have caused fading or loss of color and appetite in some reptiles.

I also want to let you know that I have sent you a PM regarding this thread.

Good luck and I hope you find a diet that works for both you and your torts.

Here is the thread that explains the numbers in the signatures http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-2453.html :)

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I don't think there is any reason to tell another member NOT to post in a thread. It is not within your rights, as a member here, to tell someone else when and where they can post.

If you put something online, its fair game to whomever wants to comment. People need to get that through their heads. Members clash...with a group this large, someone is always going to rub you the wrong way.

Leave the personal stuff out of it. That is not what these forums are for. Calling someone names, or rude is a personal attack IMO. If you have a problem with someones language, the correct thing to do is to contact a mod. Not take things into your own hands and bicker. I learned this myself after recieveing a warning or two for doing it "my" way (which was wrong)

On topic....I get my springmix from Walmart. I buy EarthBound Farms Organic. It comes in a clamshell package that seals air out, and it is already washed. It has lots of variety and is cheap. Its like $4.28 for a large box. A box that I use for over a week at a time, and I only have two Greeks (one of them under a year old) Thats an average of 20$ a month. Cheap.

My guess would be the stuff in the bags is going bad because you are leaving it in the bags, not putting it in a tupperware container with some paper towel. Air, and water will deteriorate your lettuces. If they are sealed, and dry, they will last for much longer.

I never have my spring mix go bad. Never. Maybe the brand you are buying is bad.....google the one I gave you. They have a website and everything, with pictures and names of all the lettuces in their packages.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Meg you gave some good advice about what you have learned, even if it was the hard way :p And you have been doing a great job.
Hopefully that part of this thread is done. And no one will comment on it further, as that just adds fuel to the fire.
Lets keep to the original topic of foods and if torts get tired of eating the same old, same old.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
The drier any lettuce/greens are kept, the longer I find them to last. I keep them in tupperware and replace paper towels almost daily and wipe out moisture. I also pick out any bad leaves. When it's soggy it will rot. Lasts 7-10 days. Shop around for the best variety, freshest produce, and lowest prices. We will make suggestions, but you have the ultimate decision. I would actually never feed bok choy, especially not as the sole food course for even a week, and feed spring mix 50%+ of the time to my Russian, and then mix in a variety of other healthy greens. The spring mix I buy has 4-10 ingredients in it. I also rotate the brand of spring mix to get different varieties and quantities, and make sure I know what everything in it is, so I know what my tort is eating. Stores near me sell spring mix in bulk (by the pound) so I can buy it every few days if I wish to keep it fresh.

Growing trays of seeds worked better for me inside in the kitchen than outside where the climate changed and I had to remember to change the watering schedule based on the weather. For me, it was expensive, and not worth it. I'm lucky I can get quite a bit of variety in the produce section where I live, especially at organic specialty stores. I would recommend only feeding your tort organic greens.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Personally I only liked being rubbed the right way. For people who want to keep their greens fresher longer, may i suggest those debbie meyer green bags, I use them during the winter and they keep my produce fresh for 2 or more weeeks. I had one bag of greens last 4 weeks in my fridge.Let me state I do not own any part of the company that sells them I just like to post about how well they work for me, that's all. Hope everyone has a nice day.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I do not want to hijack this thread but I only have one little question :D
Robyn, I did not know the MVB could last a year, I thought it was 6 - 8 months. I was preparing a trip to the states to get one :D. I am glad you talked about that. Does it last one year even if it is opened 13 hours a day?
Thank you :D

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Status
Not open for further replies.