Do Russian Torts Swim?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
Yep. More specific CAN they swim? I saw some pics the other day of these adorable sulcata babies swimming in their soak, and was wondering if it's healthy to offer a chance to swim, or if it would be too stressing!

symplestytches

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWest, USA
a vet once did a "float" test, to see if one part of my tort's body seemed heavier than others, which supposedly would indicate something wrong with him, and all he did was float with his head underwater tucked into his shell. he didn't even try moving. it was pretty awful to watch. we don't use that vet anymore, let me tell ya!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Some can (leopards, and sulcata come to mind) but russians don't, most sink like stones. Besides, I honestly think it is to stressful.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
a vet once did a "float" test, to see if one part of my tort's body seemed heavier than others, which supposedly would indicate something wrong with him, and all he did was float with his head underwater tucked into his shell. he didn't even try moving. it was pretty awful to watch. we don't use that vet anymore, let me tell ya!

A little off topic, but...

This actually was a pretty good way to test for if the lungs had fluid in them. And tortoises can hold their breath for a very long time. The tortoise wasn't harmed during this test.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Some can (leopards, and sulcata come to mind) but russians don't, most sink like stones. Besides, I honestly think it is to stressful.
Thanks! Okay, I thought it might be, they don't really have a need to swim about :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Might not be a bad vet. That is an easy, non-invasive way to check for pneumonia.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yep. More specific CAN they swim? I saw some pics the other day of these adorable sulcata babies swimming in their soak, and was wondering if it's healthy to offer a chance to swim, or if it would be too stressing!

I've never tried with a russian. Not something I would do regularly.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
A tad off topic for Russian's since its been pretty well answered that they sink (cool I did not know that) but I follow a Leopard on instagram who I saw one video of once going for a "swim" in the bathtub. I guess the floating sulcata answers why (is it Frankie with the "mud wallow"?) can just hop right in.

I remember reading once an article about a Galapagos tortoise washing up alive to somewhere with barnacles and stuff all on its underside and just continued on like nothing happened, and the article spoke of how they were buoyant. I don't think I can find it but if anyone knows what i'm talking about that would be a cool post here.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I think most of the 'lager' torts are buoyant for safety, because their so heavy it'd be difficult to swim. I don't know if little tots do or not o_O
Do you know about the article? That actually sounds petty cool.

ub3rsh00

My Russian will run right into the deep end of the tub during his soaks and he will look like hes swimming. I think he likes how he can walk on the tips of his nails and still move, he must feel cool. He even looks over his shell as if to say "did ya see me dad?" Lol. Its cute.
But he never seemed afraid of deep water and explores it all the time. So maybe it just depends on the tort.

Ignacio

Russians find lots of rivers during the raining season and even during the dry season they find the occasional but not too rare river.
I seen more than one crossing deep irrigation systems and a river.

I know this has been dead for quiet a while but I thought I'd share my personal experience.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Russians find lots of rivers during the raining season and even during the dry season they find the occasional but not too rare river.
I seen more than one crossing deep irrigation systems and a river.

I know this has been dead for quiet a while but I thought I'd share my personal experience.
Interesting. Mine sinks like a rock. Where did you see these Russians swimming?

Ignacio

@leigti Afghanistan, maybe i was actively looking for them in patrols since i'm the only one who saw multiple torts during that year, some guys never believe me i saw different kind of animals (lots of snakes, weird looking lizards, birds, furry little venomous snake eating rodents) until i showed them, i also saw a puma, or puma like big cat, one night i had guard
I have never tried with mine and won't try since i don't see why do it, even if my guy had to swim across water before since he's WC he won't have to in captivity so I won't stress him by testing his ability to swim. Maybe it is because all the agriculture in Afghanland and only the torts that adapted and learned to swim in that disgusting water managed to survive in that area.
Also for all i know I'm wrong and they weren't Russians but as far as i know only Russians live there but not an expert in any way, Im just telling what i saw.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Maggie3fan has a swimming sulcata. It's unique as far as I am aware.

The point is that they don't have to swim. What they end up doing in the wild to cope with an extreme is about their survival rather than enjoyment.

Many torts enjoy self soaking or a good mud hole in hot weather, but if swimming in deep water isn't necessary for their survival, why put them in the position of having to do so?