Do my tortoises have pyramiding??? Help!

Ella.s

Location (City and/or State)
Uk
I'm not sure if my Russian tortoises have pyramiding or not? If they do tips on how to help would be very welcome thank you ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1426200954.597506.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1426200993.997086.jpg

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I love that second picture :) there is no pyramiding. There are some wide growth lines. Looks good.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Thank you what are wide growth lines?
Those are the white lines between the scutes or black spots. It just means he is eating a lot. Make sure you have them on the right diet. Lots of weeds and leafy greens, no fruits, no vegetables really. Cactus is also good.

Ella.s

Uk
Those are the white lines between the scutes or black spots. It just means he is eating a lot. Make sure you have them on the right diet. Lots of weeds and leafy greens, no fruits, no vegetables really. Cactus is also good.
I have them on spring mix and dandelion leafs and flowers mostly

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
There is a huge list of options in the Russian tortoise section. If you have to rely on grocery store greens Trice things like endive and escarole, collard greens, mustard greens etc. also Russian tortoise specific seed mix is that you can bye.

Ella.s

Uk
There is a huge list of options in the Russian tortoise section. If you have to rely on grocery store greens Trice things like endive and escarole, collard greens, mustard greens etc. also Russian tortoise specific seed mix is that you can bye.
I bought a tortoise weed growing kit and I sprinkle calcium powder on their food twice a week nutrobal one a week

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I bought a tortoise weed growing kit and I sprinkle calcium powder on their food twice a week nutrobal one a week
That works. Don't worry about pyramiding, it looks like your tortoise is an adult and Russians don't really pyramid much anyway.

Ella.s

Uk
That works. Don't worry about pyramiding, it looks like your tortoise is an adult and Russians don't really pyramid much anyway.
Are some tortoises supposed to pyramid like for example Indian stars?

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California

No, it's easier for some species to pyramid then others. This is mainly due to misinformation out there. Most wild stars are smooth, however there has been cases especially in Sri lanken stars, where some have "natural pyramiding".

Ella.s

Uk
No, it's easier for some species to pyramid then others. This is mainly due to misinformation out there. Most wild stars are smooth, however there has been cases especially in Sri lanken stars, where some have "natural pyramiding".
What's natural pyramiding?

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
What's natural pyramiding?

That's why I put it in quotations.

First picture of a severely pyramided tortoise.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1426204676.795828.jpg

This is what a wild tortoise with a "natural pyramiding would look like. Again wild tortoises aren't associated with pyramiding, however there have been reports of some wild species being found with a small degree of pyramiding.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1426204786.902053.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Ella:

Yes, your first picture shows a baby Russian that has started to pyramid. Are you keeping them in a fairly moist environment?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Hi Ella:

Yes, your first picture shows a baby Russian that has started to pyramid. Are you keeping them in a fairly moist environment?
I am sorry. Yvonne is right, the first picture it does show some slight pyramiding. I could not tell in the second one it looks fine. Again I'm sorry.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
The second picture is great! You need to increase the humidity in his enclosure. At least provide a humid hide if you aren't.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes you do have some pyramiding. Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry. Make it more humid and soak more often to reduce the effects.

Is your substrate damp? Is the top of the enclosure partially covered? Do you have a humid hide box? How often do you soak?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Indian stars and leopards are debatable. There are a few species from southern Africa that typically pyramid in the wild, but none of these are available in the pet trade.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I'm not sure if my Russian tortoises have pyramiding or not? If they do tips on how to help would be very welcome thank you View attachment 121792View attachment 121793

There is some pyramiding.....but that is not the end of the world...and if you are going to change your enclosure over to the high humidity set up...please do remember to never let the temps fall below 80 degrees--as that can offer up an ailing tortoise....you may want to try a warm humid hide (all day and night)...this way the tort can partake as he finds needed....

Ella.s

Uk
Thankyou everyone I will try all of your suggestions!