Do I need to supplement Calcium

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
Yes, Theses levels are considered "Very Hard" water. In plants calcium causes all kinds of issues from uptake of nutrients to binding of them. My high levels of Calcium have little effect on our turtles but not sure about the Torts.

sorry, i saw your raw numbers and in my head compared it to water hardness after the maths would have been done.

i think an animal would have to drink an abnormal amount of the water for its (high) calcium content to be a problem, and that amount would cause problems unrelated to the calcium first. there are a number of greens that have more calcium in 50g than a liter of water would have. The differences in feeding a varied diet day to day (greens vs grazing/grass/hay vs mazuri) would be more than the calcium in the water.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Not having a cell phone the last 10 yrs. has put me terribly behind in the Knowing of the emoji and like/dislike world. I'm getting it just slowly. Personally I do not like Emoji's.... To small, have no idea what the expression is supposed to mean. I'm still in the world of sending a Thank you card not an emoji.
Thank You @Yvonne G ............ Boo Ya I tagged you, your it!

just fyi, tagging someone only alerts them if you tag them when you first make the post. adding someone's name via edit does not alert them.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
My question is this... We had our water tested (well) for People Plants and Pets health in mind. We were worried about Arsenic, Uranium and a couple other things that are found in abundance in this areas water. Luckily NO HEAVY METALS.... yessssssssss. Some of our neighbors water is so contaminated it is completely unusable, unless RO filtration is performed. Our water did come back with the following levels.......Magnesium 24.60 mg/l and Calcium 55.17 mg/l
With such a high level of calcium in our water does calcium even need to be supplemented? I am a farmer and am very aware of the problems with high calcium levels in regards to "Nutrient Lockout." Does this behave the same way in Tortoises? Do I need to provide water with less calcium in it? These ?'s come from the "Cuttlebone" that is always said needs to be in torts enclosure's.
Try reaching out to your most local Farm Advisor office and check for impact of chickens.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Try reaching out to your most local Farm Advisor office and check for impact of chickens.
FINALLY......some info I can run with. It feels as if this question through the forum veterans for a loop. This makes me happy. I don't just want to take from this forum, I want to contribute as well.
sorry, i saw your raw numbers and in my head compared it to water hardness after the maths would have been done.

i think an animal would have to drink an abnormal amount of the water for its (high) calcium content to be a problem, and that amount would cause problems unrelated to the calcium first. there are a number of greens that have more calcium in 50g than a liter of water would have. The differences in feeding a varied diet day to day (greens vs grazing/grass/hay vs mazuri) would be more than the calcium in the water.
And thank you so much for this info. Great to compare to greens of different calcium levels. This is exactly the type of info. I thought I would receive. Great conversation starter for fellow tort lovers.
just fyi, tagging someone only alerts them if you tag them when you first make the post. adding someone's name via edit does not alert them.
And I thought I was a technology wizard.....you deflated my computer ego