Do box turtles shed? Or shell rot?

Freckles24

Location (City and/or State)
TN
So my EBT hatchling has a "loose scute" like the bottom corner is peeling? Half of me thinks it's normal because she is so little but the other half of me wants to worry. I took pictures tonight while she was soaking in watered down pea baby food (I switch between vegetables & peas have a decent protein count compared to others)

4126fc6fe2b1f22693b36b4b37b7335d.jpg

cef69fc78347c8cadf6052e5554a180f.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, they don't shed their shells. This looks like he was dropped or fell and landed on that part of the shell. Clean it out well, squirting water into the crack to make sure to flush out any debris, and the squirt a bit of Neosporin in there

Freckles24

TN
No, they don't shed their shells. This looks like he was dropped or fell and landed on that part of the shell. Clean it out well, squirting water into the crack to make sure to flush out any debris, and the squirt a bit of Neosporin in there

That is super likely! My other post is about finding her with a crack in her shell (on the other side, kind of the same area). I can't believe it took me this long to notice (but I was initially focused on the bleeding part haha)