distance of CHE bulb

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnysd

5 Year Member
hello all, its been a while since i last posted. my wife and i had a baby boy 9 monts ago. so from a full time job, 2 tortoises, a discus tank, and a new baby, lifes been a little hectic. i'm in the process of modifying the sullies enclosure for the winter. i'm almost done i just have to attach the CHE light fixture...which leads to my question.
the sullie enclosure is 3 feet tall. how far away does the light fixture need to be so the sullie can feel the heat but at the same time be far enough away where it wont injure the tortoise or become a fire hazard. this is my first winter with the sullie so i'm really new at this so any advice is greatly appreciated.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Amish Country
It depends on a lot of factors, wattage of bulb, ambient room temp., etc...Put a thermometer under the CHE about the height of the tortoise's back. Raise or lower the bulb until you get the temp you want. As the entire enclosure heats up, you may have to raise the CHE a little.

johnnysd

5 Year Member
yagyujubei said:
It depends on a lot of factors, wattage of bulb, ambient room temp., etc...Put a thermometer under the CHE about the height of the tortoise's back. Raise or lower the bulb until you get the temp you want. As the entire enclosure heats up, you may have to raise the CHE a little.

the bulb is 150w. i guess my question is how will i know what the correct distance will be. if i put a thermometer at the distance fo the tortoises back.. what should the temp be? 75 degrees or 80?

Status
Not open for further replies.