DID YOU REALLY JUST EAT THAT?

TiyahLove

5 Year Member
I had sponges taped glued to the top of one of the babies hides and just a few minutes ago I went to spray the babies down and noticed a little yellow thing that had gotten pushed around and behold a sponge. I guess the adhesive gave and the sponge fell, well my problem is a few little pieces of the sponge where missing! It had to have happened earlier because I checked on them throughout the day.
Do you think they'll be able to pass it(whichever one nibbled on it)? I'm considering pureeing some fresh pumpkin or squash and giving that to them to help the sponges pass.
Gash this is an embarrassing/terrifying mistake!

Oh and one more thing. I will never use a sponge again. From now on it is a layer of top soil and moss under their some orchid bark!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If they epate it today, it probably won't come out until tomorrow or even the next day. I would give longer then normal warm soaks, maybe a couple each day and watch to see if it passes and keep a closer eye on them for the next few days. If it were teeny tiny pieces, it probably won't be a problem. Little larger pieces possibly could be. Keep well hydrated, soaked. See if the more experienced have any experience with this and if there is any type of food you should feed to help pass it through. Hope all turns out well.

TiyahLove

5 Year Member
wellington said:
If they epate it today, it probably won't come out until tomorrow or even the next day. I would give longer then normal warm soaks, maybe a couple each day and watch to see if it passes and keep a closer eye on them for the next few days. If it were teeny tiny pieces, it probably won't be a problem. Little larger pieces possibly could be. Keep well hydrated, soaked. See if the more experienced have any experience with this and if there is any type of food you should feed to help pass it through. Hope all turns out well.

I know pumpkin is a great laxative for dogs, cats, ferrets, etc. Not sure about little torts, but I don't see why it wouldn't work it's high fiber and a nice lubricant to help things pass along.

My Dane ate a wash cloth and got to eat a whole can of pumpkin purée, let's just say the pumpkin cleaned him out a little too well.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Haha, yuck. Yes, I think I heard that about pumpkin for torts. I do know it is said to work for deworming them too. Give a little, but I wouldn't over do it. Also, the warm soaks.

edwardbo

5 Year Member
Wait a minute ! Pumpkin and sweet potatoes is NOT to soften stool it firms it up , honest, gets RID of diareah(sp) it's for firming up the stool .it will most likely pass ,but don't feed too much as to create a blockage ,.i think I heard tomatoes cause loose stools in turtles..really you don't want to PUSH that sponge ,it could create an impaction. Let the torts body slowly pass that foreign body .watery foods.slip it through.

If your going to say the dog got diareah ,it was from the insult of the fabric,not the pumpkin .....m.d .phd .

TiyahLove

5 Year Member
I am going to give the babies a couple days to pass it and I'm going to give them several long soaks a day until the sponge has passed. If no one has passed anything after a couple days I am going to give them each one teaspoon of fresh puréed pumpkin.

edwardbo said:
Wait a minute ! Pumpkin and sweet potatoes is NOT to soften stool it firms it up , honest, gets RID of diareah(sp) it's for firming up the stool .it will most likely pass ,but don't feed too much as to create a blockage ,.i think I heard tomatoes cause loose stools in turtles..really you don't want to PUSH that sponge ,it could create an impaction. Let the torts body slowly pass that foreign body .watery foods.slip it through.

If your going to say the dog got diareah ,it was from the insult of the fabric,not the pumpkin .....m.d .phd .

As for my dog, he did not have diarrhea but he did poo all over the house. For a couple days at that until the pumpkin was completely out of his system. It wasn't fun having to help him remove the stuck cloth from his bum.