Daily routine food for redfoot tortoise, Indian Based is much appreciated.

Location (City and/or State)
Chennai
Hi,

Am about to get redfoot tortoise, I would like get some expert help on food diet (more importantly please daily routine diet chart)

Size if about 2 to 3 inches. And please note, Iam from India.

Please suggest based on Indian southern part climate and food diet. Climate is quite similar to south florid, hot and humid and also in winter cold rains.

Il be very much appreciated if I get a nice daily availabke food chart.

Great thanks in advance for your time and knowledge spending for me.!!

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I have no advice as to specific diet but we have identified/assessed a number of South Asian and Indian foods in this thread: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/s...land-malay-indo-etc-diet.165957/#post-1605308. It would take time to read everything but I also assess and feed a variety of Indian plants throughout this thread: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-tortoise-chef.153728/. Just trying out sambar cucumber and sem fhali today, in fact. I own a Russian so you do not want an outline on what should make up a red foot diet from me but I do try to give a little general background about individual plants where I can; it may be useful.

I don't know that we have many red foot owners posting from India so you will probably have to make some judgement calls.

It's a pretty good comparison but the most humid weather I experienced in Chennai was still better than Florida, lol.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
It's my hope that at some point in the future, we can count on a member like @TortoiseAwarness& Conserv to help other Redfoot keepers in that part of the world.
I've provided a rough "percentages" of the types of food to feed on your other very similar post. But I was and am unable to provide the specifics on the actual foods available

Chennai
I have no advice as to specific diet but we have identified/assessed a number of South Asian and Indian foods in this thread: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/s...land-malay-indo-etc-diet.165957/#post-1605308. It would take time to read everything but I also assess and feed a variety of Indian plants throughout this thread: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-tortoise-chef.153728/. Just trying out sambar cucumber and sem fhali today, in fact. I own a Russian so you do not want an outline on what should make up a red foot diet from me but I do try to give a little general background about individual plants where I can; it may be useful.

I don't know that we have many red foot owners posting from India so you will probably have to make some judgement calls.

It's a pretty good comparison but the most humid weather I experienced in Chennai was still better than Florida, lol.
Thank you!!
Lol.that was so clean,. When did you visit ?
20230904_114831.jpg20230904_114831.jpg

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Thank you!!
It has been over ten years. I went to India several times visiting private high schools. These were typically out of the city. Unfortunately we traveled quickly from state to state and as a result rarely got to visit people, see the sights or eat local foods. I mostly remember passing by the then new ITC Grand Chola and a car manufacturer and that's about it. :(

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thank you!!
View attachment 361073View attachment 361073
That looks like a nice meal.
But I want to warn you that small tortoises especially can choke on peices of food that size.
Its better to slice it flat and just let them bite off their own chunks. Or use a grater to slice it extra thin.
Those "throat sized" chunks can be an issue. One we've seen here on the forum few times. Unfortunately.
But, well done.

Chennai
That looks like a nice meal.
But I want to warn you that small tortoises especially can choke on peices of food that size.
Its better to slice it flat and just let them bite off their own chunks. Or use a grater to slice it extra thin.
Those "throat sized" chunks can be an issue. One we've seen here on the forum few times. Unfortunately.
But, well done.
Thats a great thought,! When I saw in some videos giving them big chunks and i felt how could that smal tiny beak can byte it.
Now understood,. Yeah, the next day I grated to fine thread like worms,.
I found that they like amaranthus than rom lettuce and red lettuce, and also yellow pumpkin.

Hey i want to mention the behavior that, they are eating very little and runn back to hide and sleep for whole day untill i pull them out and make them eat, and again they run back so fast,. Yesterday i checked and waited to see if they come back to eat, but nope,.. they never came back.

I guess this is the right behaviour for babiez, but should i pull them to make them eat a 3 times a day.??

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thats a great thought,! When I saw in some videos giving them big chunks and i felt how could that smal tiny beak can byte it.
Now understood,. Yeah, the next day I grated to fine thread like worms,.
I found that they like amaranthus than rom lettuce and red lettuce, and also yellow pumpkin.

Hey i want to mention the behavior that, they are eating very little and runn back to hide and sleep for whole day untill i pull them out and make them eat, and again they run back so fast,. Yesterday i checked and waited to see if they come back to eat, but nope,.. they never came back.

I guess this is the right behaviour for babiez, but should i pull them to make them eat a 3 times a day.??
Babies hide a lot.
It makes them feel safe.
As long as it's not too hot. And they are well hydrated, just let them eat what they want.

Chennai
Babies hide a lot.
It makes them feel safe.
As long as it's not too hot. And they are well hydrated, just let them eat what they want.
Im confused about the heat and cold,. 😕
Enclosure is warm and the outter Enclosure is cold as it rained couple of days,
Should I be giving them micro climate inside the climate I should keep them colder and not warmer,. Is it right ??