Cypress Mulch (buying from Home Depot)?

Tyanna

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Is it safe to buy the packaged cypress mulch from Home Depot? It's a lot cheaper, just not sure if it's "safe".

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
My local one doesn't carry any. But I always freeze and bake mine. Should be safe.

— Gus

Tyanna

Wisconsin
I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a difference between the pet store stuff and the home depot stuff! :) Thank you!

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Now you have me thinking. Shouldn't be a difference but maybe wait and see what others think.

— Gus

Tyanna

Wisconsin
I will. I'm hoping the only difference is the hole in the pocket will be smaller and not bigger buying from home depot. ;)

Tyanna

Wisconsin
Are you using peat moss as substrate? Did you get organic stuff or just any old peat moss? I'm open for suggestions.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Organic. Then put top soil over it. I also use the spaghnum peat moss to put in the hides. Yes it's all used as substrate. It's a bit messy though because it gets in the water and muddy. But they like it. I've used cypress but prefer top soil myself.

— Gus

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Home improvement store mulch should be fine to use. I haven't had any issues so far.

Magilla504

I use organic peat moss and whatever cypress mulch lowes has in stock. I have never had a problem so far. Just always read the bag to make sure that it doesn't have any treatments in it

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Are you using peat moss as substrate? Did you get organic stuff or just any old peat moss? I'm open for suggestions.
For my box turtles I use 100% organic peat moss as substrate, nothing else mixed in. I got a big bale of it for $10 at Lowes. Home Depot has it too.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I don't bake or boil my coir, and I get it from the local garden store... wayyyy cheaper than the pet store! Maybe check to see if it says organic, no chemicals :).

Tyanna

Wisconsin
I don't bake or boil my coir, and I get it from the local garden store... wayyyy cheaper than the pet store! Maybe check to see if it says organic, no chemicals :).

So you would suggest using organic..not just regular? I agree, it's all wayyyy cheaper which is why I want to buy from somewhere else other than the petstore, LOL

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've been using bulk stuff from the hardware stores for decades. Never had one problem. I usually use orchid bark. The few times I've tried cypress mulch it smelled a little swampy, so I soaked and rinsed it a few times before putting it in the enclosures. I don't do anything with the o bark. Just through it straight in right out of the bag.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
So you would suggest using organic..not just regular? I agree, it's all wayyyy cheaper which is why I want to buy from somewhere else other than the petstore, LOL
:D
No, just regular, but I would check to make sure it doesn't say out-right if it's been treated with anything :p