Cuttlebone

Marcus Harrison

Location (City and/or State)
Manchester, UK
Hey, I have a cuttlebone that I bought for my tortoise, I don't really know what to with it? Do I literally just put it in?

I feel as though she won't be able to eat it because it'll move around as she pushes it. Also, will she know to eat it?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Some people scrapes some of it off onto the torts food. Others just puts it in. I put mine on a frisbee that is turned upside down. The rim helps it to stay in the frisbee sometimes. I would break in half or thirds and give one of those pieces. They tend to get them very dirty. Yes, she will know if she wants it or not and will use it when she wants.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
When our Sully was small, I scraped off small bits onto the food. Later, broke it up into just small piecee. Now, we just offer entire full cuttlebones. A lot depends on the size of your tort, but you will know when they consume it.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
I just stick the whole thing in the cage. At first mine didn't know to eat it, but then when she was eating her food, I offered it to her and she took a chomp. She only eats it when she's really bored or is pretending to be starving. ;) Either way, it's there when she wants it.
Oh, and just a tip, if you squirt some water on the cuttle bone, it makes them more interested in eating it.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Thank you so much, I was a little confused about what to do with it but I'll just put it in the corner of her tank so she can't push it :)
Maybe she likes pushing it around. Why not? Helps pass the time.....!
My tortoises' cuttlebone gets very dirty and it gets wet when I spray. When it's really disgusting I use the grater on it and get the dirt off.
Sometimes I grater a bit of it on their food but mostly I leave it as it is so they can bite on it and help trim the beaks...or so they can have fun pushing it around.....