Cuttlebone chow down.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Lylah came up her boxie cave and went to town on her cuttlebone. I kept hearing a really loud grinding sound and when I went to see what it was, it was her eating on the cuttlebone. She had also just eaten 6 superworms. [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES][TURTLE]
ImageUploadedByTortForum1391980009.060017.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Cuttlebone is great for them. I buy a box with four big one's and cut them in half. I always see them chewing on it.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
My boxies both love to chew on cuttlebone.

Bibbit

5 Year Member
Dallas, Texas
I've never tried cuttlebone with mine. I always associate that with birds. You've convinced me to try, though. I've got a couple with beaks that I can tell are growing long.

wiccan_chicken

5 Year Member
Georgia
Bibbit the cuttle bones are a wonderful source of calcium and they'll chew on it when they feel the need for some extra calcium plus it keeps those beaks nice and trim! A lot less of a hassle than messing with the calcium powder.

Bibbit

5 Year Member
Dallas, Texas
I've had cuttle bone spread around the enclosure for a few weeks now and I don't think any of my 4 have touched it. I'll keep it in there, though, and keep watching. Any way to keep beaks trimmed is worth pursuing.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
They won't eat it for weeks, then all of a sudden, they will. So it is great to give them the option.

wiccan_chicken

5 Year Member
Georgia
My girl never even looked at it for months then one day I woke up to a horrible noise, and she decided for the next week she was gonna chow down till it was gone! Its always nice to leave it in there just in case.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I have heard that dyeing them orange or red helps get them motivated to try it. I am uncertain if this should be done sine they will eat it when needed so prehaps dyeing it makes them eat it when they don't need it. Did that make any sense? lol...