Cute but Unwanted Guest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
S. Oregon
As far as I know, he did not come back last night. Probably went to my next door neighbors :)

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
"Oh gee, you're no fun anymore" Rocky Raccoon.

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
Now it's about time for the Herons to show up again :(

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
I hate it when I'm right but something got into my Koi pond last night or early this morning. The net was all messed up and laying in the water. I don't know if they got any of the fish or not(too many to count) but they tried.

Oh, I did catch something in my trap this morning also...My cat! He wasn't too happy but he's probably learned now NOT to go in it :)

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Well, it could been a skunk in the trap.

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
Yes, it could've been a skunk...Eeeewww

We do have from what I'm told porcupines also but I've never seen one.

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Chucky said:
Oh, I did catch something in my trap this morning also...My cat! He wasn't too happy but he's probably learned now NOT to go in it :)

LOL, err.. well, not for the kitty, but just had to note thanx for the smile! Bestest wishes!
Purpod

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Chucky said:
Yes, it could've been a skunk...Eeeewww

We do have from what I'm told porcupines also but I've never seen one.
Now that's a prickly subject.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I believe the distemper they get is K9, and of course rabies and internal parasites. Its epidemic in some areas, If its in your area. Im sure you would of heard of it.
Make it as negative as possible for them and they should move on.

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
I can and have put all food inside but the fish pond is still there and they love fish. Even if I got rid of that, in this town 1 out of every 5 houses have ponds with fish so it's almost impossible to keep them away. I just do the best I can.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Itort said:
Well, it could been a skunk in the trap.

Maybe the smell would have kept away the coon. :D :D

I know Chucky this is a serious matter for you, just wish there were simple solutions that worked for everybody and everything.

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
With my situation, there is not much I can do except for keeping the food put away which I always do anyway. The turts and torts are secure but the fish are up for grabs. I'm just more concerned about the cat and dog meeting up with it someday.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
The bottom line is coons are smart and have hands. Begrudgingly you have to admire them for their adaptability. The dogs they avoid and the cats they ignore.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Itort said:
The dogs they avoid and the cats they ignore.

As long as they don't bother them or they aren't cornered. Then they can do some serious damage.

bacaraj

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Biloxi,MS
Just a thought for you about scaring away most of the mid level predators, down here we have used fox urine or coyote urine liberally sprayed around the perimeter of the property to keep the coons, opossums, and feral cats at quite a distance and it also keeps rabbits and deer out of the garden areas. You can get bottles of the urine from Cabela's, Bass Pro Shop, Wal Mart, Kmart, or any bow hunting shop, hope this helps.

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
That might help bacaraj but I wonder if my dog would go around and remark it?

BTW, the coon was back last night, stood up right in front of the glass door and looked at me. It looked as if he was trying to say...'Hey! where's that cat food at? I'm starving here!'. He then left and didn't see him the rest of the night.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Chucky said:
BTW, the coon was back last night, stood up right in front of the glass door and looked at me. It looked as if he was trying to say...'Hey! where's that cat food at? I'm starving here!'. He then left and didn't see him the rest of the night.

He may very well have been doing just that. He may have already learned from well meaning softies, that begging equals food.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
bacaraj said:
Just a thought for you about scaring away most of the mid level predators, down here we have used fox urine or coyote urine liberally sprayed around the perimeter of the property to keep the coons, opossums, and feral cats at quite a distance and it also keeps rabbits and deer out of the garden areas. You can get bottles of the urine from Cabela's, Bass Pro Shop, Wal Mart, Kmart, or any bow hunting shop, hope this helps.

Okay I am gonna come clean here. When I was having the problem with the coons, I recalled hearing about the urine thing. I had wondered if human urine would work the same way and since I was spending so much time down there on guard duty, I decided to give it a shot.

Figured it didn't cost anything and I lost all my pride long ago :D, so I started "marking my territory". :rolleyes: Not sure if it worked, but I never saw them go by those points again. Of course maybe they couldn't without rolling on the ground laughing themselves silly at the dumb human, so they avoided the spots. :rolleyes:

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Jacqui said:
Figured it didn't cost anything and I lost all my pride long ago :D, so I started "marking my territory". :rolleyes: Not sure if it worked, but I never saw them go by those points again. Of course maybe they couldn't without rolling on the ground laughing themselves silly at the dumb human, so they avoided the spots. :rolleyes:

:D ROTF!
The cost of internet: $30. a month
Belonging to TF: $0.
Reading Jacqui's post: Priceless!

:p Purpod

Status
Not open for further replies.