Curved shell growth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

saberfire06

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hampton, VA
I've had my Russian Dante for about 6 months now and noticed that in the back of his shell its starting to take a upward curve. The area that is curving is also a bit clear in color but it hard like the rest of the shell.

Could this possibly be caused from over feeding?

He currently lives in a large tortoise table with a zoo med power sun, and I'm pretty sure all my temps and humidity are correct.

He eats organic spring mix and mazuri.

gregcalverley0327

10 Year Member!
I believe that is a sign of MBD but not 100% sure hopefully someone else will
Chime in and help

0.3.0 sulcata tortoise
(Manavi, aspen, Bronx)
1.0.0 Russian tortoise
(Ivan)
1 Great Dane
(Koko)

abclements

5 Year Member
I've been told the exact opposite. I've been told it's just the torts way of using extra calcium. No problems unless the edges are sharp which may need filing down if it's cutting him.

Sent from my LG-P769 using TortForum mobile app

saberfire06

5 Year Member
Hampton, VA
Thanks for the replys both of you. From what Ive researched I've heard both of your answers so I'm not sure which one to settle on. Other then the curving he has a great appatite, his stool is normal and he is active so I guess I will just keep an eye on him for further changes.

abclements

5 Year Member
Ya sorry about conflicting info lol if everything else is normal then I wouldn't worry too much. Just keep an eye out for any changes

Sent from my LG-P769 using TortForum mobile app

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I too, have a female russian with the rear shell flare. She was a rescue with no back story, and it doesn't seem to cause her any issues, though I have written her off for breeding because I don't know that it would be possible.ImageUploadedByTortForum1370365400.857875.jpg

I name my tortoises from their characteristics, her name is Parris for a frilly Hilton daughter. I've got a huge female named ,“ Roseanne" for obvious reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:

SpdTrtl

10 Year Member!
Austin, TX
Wally has this same issue and I think it gives him character, like curly hair. :D

Attachments

• IMAG0164.jpg
    IMAG0164.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 76

haidao88

5 Year Member
I have noticed that with MBD and pyramiding they take a certain shape and is not smooth, according to all three different tortoise and their beautifully smooth shells shown above, I would just think that it's an actual plus or cosmetic look...

I mean all our tortoise seems to be healthy and maybe that's a good sign of showing off their beauty naturally... Who knows lol I'm just guess so don't trial me lol

My tortoise Peach hates apples
Mario loves Peaches
0.0.2 redfoot

Your*

My tortoise Peach hates apples
Mario loves Peaches
0.0.2 redfoot

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
I almost think i remember reading that female tortoises usually have flared rear margins, I think they are called.

jeffstort

5 Year Member
My russian Walter has a small flair toImageUploadedByTortForum1370445999.180099.jpg

I also saw a russian at a pet store with really bad flaring and it looked like it didn't bother him but it also looked terrible

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.