Crested Gecko

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WI
I think he's beautiful, but I really advise weighing him. If he's under a certain weight, ten gallons is way to much space for him. I have a 15g gecko in a 5.5 gallon right now, so I can be sure that she's finding her food.

Ditch the mealworms all together. They are not good to feed cresties, especially one that young. Feed straight CGD for a while until you can be sure that he's eating it. I also saw no hemipenal bulge, that gecko looks too small to sex. At this point it could still go either way for it.

But I would like to know what it weighs. Congrats on the new addition. :)

Madortoise

5 Year Member
Meg90 said:
I think he's beautiful, but I really advise weighing him. If he's under a certain weight, ten gallons is way to much space for him. I have a 15g gecko in a 5.5 gallon right now, so I can be sure that she's finding her food.

Ditch the mealworms all together. They are not good to feed cresties, especially one that young. Feed straight CGD for a while until you can be sure that he's eating it. I also saw no hemipenal bulge, that gecko looks too small to sex. At this point it could still go either way for it.

Okay. I'll stick w/the CGD for a while even though he ate another mealworm today and that's what the shop was feeding along w/CGD. FYI These mealworms like I said are soft and do not seem to be exoskeletal like the larger ones. I'll have to look for the poop. I'm setting up the water cup and food cup in the same place like Maggie recommended before. As for the size of the terrarium, isn't it better for these guys to get exercise? I am thinking of getting some gut-loaded crickets, but I'll wait a while. I don't have a smaller tank but as you can see this one is filled w/big rock and all--taking up a lot of space; I can add more foliage, too. 10 gallons is supposed to be good up to 3 of these geckos. What do you think about me setting up a smaller verticle terrarium (I've seen 8 gallon octagonal) for him until the mate comes, then they can move back into the 10 gallons while the smaller one can be used in future for a holding tank for the new mate or something. oh....I just caught myself already thinking of getting more than one at the next show....!
I'm going to weigh him this weekend and start keeping track of his weight. You're right. The bulge wouldn't start until they are a little older. I'll feel lucky if it turns out to be a she. :D

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Ten gallons is NOT good for three crested geckos. Who told you that?

To house young geckos together is a bad idea. If they are not mature, they will fight for food, and the best hiding spots, and you'll soon have geckos with scarring, no tails, and behavior problems.

When your geckos are adults, they will need TEN gallons per Gecko. My females cage is 18in wide, by 18in deep by 24 inches tall and I have still seen my girls give a nip or two.

Like I said, once you know his weight you will know if that tank is too large. The issue is young geckos often get "lost" with too much space and will not come out and find food.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
You read that wrong. I have talked with Allen Repashy and others on his level, and NONE of them would advise keeping more than one crested in a tank that small and/or feeding them meal worms. I suggest you reread.

Cresteds max out between 40-50g. How would it even be considered humane to cram three animals that size into ten gallons?

Ten gallons are a minimum for almost every species. You are not even supposed to keep two leopard geckos in a ten.

Have you ever seen an adult crested? They are not small. This is Tonks, she prolly has another ten grams to go before she's considered a full size adult. Does she look small to you? Housing three geckos of this size in a ten gallon is begging for disaster.
TonksFayeandcleosplatformvid062.jpg

Proper care sheet: http://www.pangeareptile.com/id52.htm which clearly states that three geckos need 29 gallons at least.

Madortoise

5 Year Member
Meg, You were right about my misreading the minimum size for 1-3 cg.
Per "Crested Geckos" From the Experts at Advanced Vivarius Systems by Philippe de Vosjoli, p.44: "A good general rule is that the minimum size enclosure for housing one to three adult cresteds should be 20 gallons, with a 29-gallon tank being an even better choice.
However, that was a different point than you were making about 10 gallon being too big for the juvenile crested.
I have no doubt that you spoke with some reptile experts but if you have a specific book or a scientific article that you could recommend for me to read for what is pertient to juvenile crested, I am more inclined to heed to that type of pointers.
Thanks,

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Again, once you find out how much he weighs, that should be a good indication of tank size. My 16g girl will be moved up to a ten soon. But I have kept her in a 5.5gal because one, I could monitor her activity, and food/water intake better, and two, because I knew she would not be overwhelmed by the space.

If your gecko is under ten grams I highly recommend downsizing. Once they become picky eaters, its a whole different type of hell. I have one male that I overwhelmed, and now trying to get him to eat is maddening. I actually have to hand feed him, and each night he acts like he's super hungry, even though now he's in a smaller bin, and has food available at all times.

I just want what's best for your little one. These geckos can be fragile, and while they usually will not willingly starve themselves to death, if a baby feels insecure and does not venture out because of it, it can easily happen.

Madortoise

5 Year Member
Thank you, Meg. I'll weigh her and take all what you say in consideration. I certainly do not want an anorexic gecko! So far, he's ventured into every part of the tank and seemingly doing very well.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Mado, thought I would upload some pictures of how I keep my younger geckos. A picture is worth 1,000 words and whatnot

This is Sookie, and she is 16g and in a 5.5 gallon (and will be for another month or two)
gecckos037.jpg

gecckos041.jpg

gecckos042.jpg

And this is Bebop (she's a gargoyle gecko, a cousin to the crested gecko) she's about 12g
gecckos055.jpg

I like to keep things simple with the little ones. Plant, vine or stick to climb on, egg crate for Bebop (because gargs cannot stick to smooth surfaces) and a food and water dish. They do great like this. They have a place to hide, things to exercise on, and a good amount of space to gecko around in.

Smaller is better when they are young. Its when they grow up that the need a ton of room.

Shalon

5 Year Member
Meg,
I love Bebop! She is stunning. She is exactly what I am hoping to find out the expo here in Oregon in Jan. If not I'm going to have to wait until I find one like her. :)

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
She was a DEAL too. I paid only 50$ for her. My favorite breeder cut me a break ;)

Shalon

5 Year Member
Meg90 said:
She was a DEAL too. I paid only 50$ for her. My favorite breeder cut me a break ;)

Wow! That was very nice of them. I am hoping I have the money to get a gargoyle at the expo. Not sure how much one is going to cost there though.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I have seen animals of her caliber for 125$ and up. Its ridculous, especially for female gargs (which are cheaper because they are easier to come by then males) Have you been on the pangea forums? Many breeders there have beautiful gargs, and I think a couple might be at your expo.

Shalon

5 Year Member
Meg90 said:
I have seen animals of her caliber for 125$ and up. Its ridculous, especially for female gargs (which are cheaper because they are easier to come by then males) Have you been on the pangea forums? Many breeders there have beautiful gargs, and I think a couple might be at your expo.

I read there, but don't post. I have seen a couple gargs in the for sale section but they weren't really what I wanted. The woman that we got Saffron from (who got her injured from the pet store and got her healed up) has a male garg for $100 with his enclosure, which is a deal, but he isn't really what I want either.

Madortoise

5 Year Member
Meg90 said:

Okay, I finally got around to weigh him and got my wireless connection reinstated. He currently weighes 7 grams. Meg, I know you'll say 10 gallon is too big for him. I saw some youtube with folks keeping ones that size in small platic containers on shelves. I just think that's no way for gecko to live. Mine is doing well...he was a rant of 3 (same age) sold at the petco. He's eating and pooping and being active at night. I think I might add egg cartons on the walls instead of barks so that it'll decrease tank size and he'll have more surface to play with. Keep your advise coming. I also bought a few more books to read on CG. It's been so fun watching him.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
If he's eating, and active, then the ten is fine. Most keepers usually say smaller is better, but I have recently been branching out in the way that I care for my geckos, besides what is written in the stone of publication.

For example, the three hatchlings that I produced this summer, I housed all in their own enclosures from day one. Its advised to keep young geckos seperate so that everyone keeps their tail and toes (babies nip). But a friend of mine who is more experienced then I am, suggested that I try housing clutch mates together until they are big enough to get live food.

I did this with two of my newest babies, Nausciaa and Seeker (who are just over a month old now), and I have more than once, caught them curled up together. I think I will be sad when I eventually have to split them.

What I am trying to say, is there really is no hard or fast rule with these guys. If you find something that works for you, then go with it (as long as its not feeding babyfood! :p)

I hope he thrives for you.

Madortoise

5 Year Member
Thanks, Meg, it means a lot to me to get your vote of confidence. I'll post more pix once I'm on a holiday vacation. Same good wishes go to yours--especially those new babies. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.