Could They Be Friends?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
I have always wanted a dog, but because I am in work didn't want to leave it shut in on its own all day.
I need a dog to walk while I'm looking for dandelions so that I don't look too odd scouring the lanes on my own.
So I've offered to take an elderly couple's dog walkies - a win, win, win situation for all of us!

What a great thing to do!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
He wants the cat for himself not his tortoise. The cat will not get in his territory because it will be cat proofed right Guillian?
The title of the thread is 'Could they be friends', so, perhaps oddly, that was the question I answered.

fern4

I introduced Fern to my 4 adult cats 2 years ago. They ignore him and he ignores them and all are happy.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I introduced Fern to my 4 adult cats 2 years ago. They ignore him and he ignores them and all are happy.
That is great to hear, but things don't always work that smoothly. I believe that getting a cat/kitten is a risk, when one has a tort. Bt it seems that I'm going to take that risk.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Hi there! A really cute pic. [/QUOT
good afternoon Gillian,
That's a “live action" picture. I'm still laying in bed, awake. He lays on this spot every night. That is his sweat shirt he sleeps on. Cats love to smell, they have a very strong olfactory sense. I wore that sweatshirt while working outside and it smells like me I guess. He burrows his face into it purring and loving on it.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Hi there! A really cute pic. It makes me want a kitten/cat more and more.
If you want one, get it.
Just be sure Oli's cage is secure.
At the end of the day, there is risks with everything, for examble:
I have a dog with a gerbil and hamster. I also have a dog and a tortoise.
Of course I know that things can happen, you just need to make sure all the animals are safe and always supervised :)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
If you want one, get it.
Just be sure Oli's cage is secure.
At the end of the day, there is risks with everything, for examble:
I have a dog with a gerbil and hamster. I also have a dog and a tortoise.
Of course I know that things can happen, you just need to make sure all the animals are safe and always supervised :)
Thanks very much your advice. Oh well, I guess I'll take the risk once I find the kitten/cat I want. I'll have to make sure Oli is nice and safe as you put it.

You really shouldn't be taking any "risks" when it comes to Oli! However, there really isn't one if you're sure the kitten or cat couldn't get into the enclosure and you try to keep the cat out of the room. I wouldn't say they could safely be friends, at least not without supervision at all times, but cats are great and I'd recommend them if you're positive you can keep Oli and the cat separated when you're not around!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
You really shouldn't be taking any "risks" when it comes to Oli! However, there really isn't one if you're sure the kitten or cat couldn't get into the enclosure and you try to keep the cat out of the room. I wouldn't say they could safely be friends, at least not without supervision at all times, but cats are great and I'd recommend them if you're positive you can keep Oli and the cat separated when you're not around!
I believe there is a risk, whether I am at home or not, whether I separate them or not, etc. A tort is 'helpless' when there's a cat/dog around. Luck plays a very impotant role as well, as it does in everything in life.