Corn Salad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nofx

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Lucija, Slovenia
Hi guys, I was looking every where for this plant in the what-to-eat area and i didn't found it anywhere.

I wonder, does this plant have any nutritious value? My torts just adore it but i dont want to feed them junk food.

A pic of it
http://www.ars-alimentaria.it/imgProdotto/205199.pd.jpg

Tnx

Niko

ps. I'm not sure if this is the right name for it ( wiki ) .

moswen

5 Year Member
the name of the plant is corn salad? i don't know, it doesn't look like lettuce, which is pretty much the only green leafy thing torts love that has a low nutirtional value, but i really would hesitate to give you the "go ahead" without even knowing what it is!

Nofx

5 Year Member
Lucija, Slovenia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corn_salad

Nutrition

Like other formerly foraged greens, corn salad has many nutrients, including three times as much vitamin C as lettuce, beta-carotene, B6, B9, vitamin E, and omega-3 fatty acids. It is best if gathered before flowers appear

good? bad?

Niko

moswen

5 Year Member
humm, sorry, i know tortoises need vitamin c for their immune system, but i don't know about any of the b's or omega-3. i can't find anything that says it has fiber in it, which is the number one necessity for torts. you'll have to let someone else answer, sorry!

Jermosh

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
Yes I think it would be fine, but like any diet you need to have variety. I actually like this plant and plant it, its becoming really popular since its easily grown and has a nice spicy tang to it.

I would think its akin to dandelion.

Paige Lewis

5 Year Member
Swansea, UK
The name i used to refer to that as was feldsalat when i lived in Germany and now lambs lettuce living in the uk, my tort also loves it, he is fed it over the winter as part of a varied diet when weeds are scarce.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
As long as a plant is edible, there is no logical reason to not feed it as part of a balanced diet.

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
Paige Lewis said:
The name i used to refer to that as was feldsalat when i lived in Germany and now lambs lettuce living in the uk, my tort also loves it, he is fed it over the winter as part of a varied diet when weeds are scarce.

You bet me to it i was going to post that it looks like Lambs Lettuce Shelby loves this too and its fine as a balanced diet.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Corn salad, aka lamb's lettuce, aka mache, aka rocket salad. Its good to feed in a varied diet (my tort likes it)...and from what I can find its low oxalic acid, like most lettuces. For us in the U.S., they sell it at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods (sometimes in a mix of stuff, but mostly by itself).

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Rocket salad? Rocket in the US is often called 'Arugula', and is a great tortoise food.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Colinzebra grew up in Illinois and supposedly now lives in Utah, however he's posting this from Mumbai. Really gets around, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.