COOL ( temps ) Muddy K. erosa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
[ because of numerous pics they will be posted in two entries ]

While talking with onarock I mentioned that keeping K. erosa is like keeping NA Box turtles.. so I call them "African" box turtles. { obviously they don't 'hibernate' like NA Box do } Of course Paul said.. " I'd like to see 'group' shots of them shiny/wet "!? You will be surprized!

It has been raining here since March! - seems like it anyway.

It rained last night and was still "sprinkling" this morning at 9a CDT.

Their enclosure basically faces South to North .. 4' wide and 20' long - with divider ( for this years new ones ) and continues West to East another 16'.

Approaching "South" end:

Two Females -

SouthEND628.jpg

Right of 'wall' is Northern redfoot enclosure - [ see rain-drop on camera lens? ]

SouthEND628zoom.jpg

Male -

M2.jpg

3rd Female -

F1.jpg

Female under Rose of Sharon -

F2RoS.jpg

Male/Female pair - [ notice 'rain-drop' on camera lens again ] -

M1F3.jpg

While taking pics of 'both' groups.. they have been moving around in the rain!

Male in hide -

M2Hide.jpg

After taking all of the pics I went inside to download them all and decided I would take this pic to confirm COOL -

COOLKe.jpg

65.6 F - TORTOISES FROM AFRICA.. IN THESE "COOL" TEMPS AND RAIN!? Bright-eyed and alert!

YEP!

** more 'Muddy' pics coming soon**

NERD

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Amaizing Terry, just like you described it. Erosa out, active in the rain with cool temps, and in the hide and under the scrub and leaf litter when its sunny and hot. I still find it fascinating that these tortoises are described to live IN streams and that they DIVE for food. So...Terry...when are you putting in the stream? :)

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Wow your torts are beautiful. Raining here non stop as well.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
My Home's are identical in their behavior. It rained 4 days straight last week, and my Manouria and Home's were the happiest torts on the block :) At one point I was on the phone with David (I was at work) and he was describing the 2" of water in the Hingeback enclosure, and how the two males were running around mounting every female they could find :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
onarock said:
Amaizing Terry, just like you described it. Erosa out, active in the rain with cool temps, and in the hide and under the scrub and leaf litter when its sunny and hot. I still find it fascinating that these tortoises are described to live IN streams and that they DIVE for food. So...Terry...when are you putting in the stream? :)

Some of mine, do like to go "fishing" for live goldfish that are swimming around.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Az tortoise compound said:
Great pics Terry! (as always) Beautiful K.Erosa.
What is that you are using for a divider wall?

Mick friends of mine build portable "Utility" barns. And because of the varying sizes of these barns that they build they have scrap "panels" that measure 16"-18" wide X 9/16" thick on the average and 8' - 10' in length. These are special made composition "exterior" wall panels made to withstand all weather conditions.. a buck a panel -- outdoor walls for enclosures! And they cut them all 16" wide for me.

Kristina the low temps is what is so amazing about these creatures!

EricIvins

5 Year Member
I'm still failing to see the connection between cool and wet.........

Like any other Forest Tortoise, or Turtle for that matter, rain will always make them active.......Temperature really has nothing to do with it, Barometric Pressure does.........I have Heosemys that still make the attempt to become active when they are cold and the storms roll in.........And they can barely function "cold".......

Anyone that has kept Kinixys will tell you they ( And what I would consider ) are a "semi-aquatic" Tortoise......

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Eric maybe I can help you see the connection.

Most find it surprising to see or hear about "water-loving" tortoises to begin with. AND especially those that are active in the mid-sixties as well. MOST tortoises become active when the temps go up.. not go down! And isn't it true.. when a cool front comes through there is a substantial change in Barometric Pressure?! Most everyone knows that. PLUS few have actually kept K.erosa.

Did that help?

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Second entry..

Just on the other side of the divider -

MUDKe2.jpg

Looking thru the fence -

2FenceMUDKe2.jpg

Around the corner -

2NEMud2.jpg

Closer in - look at the MUD! -

2SHYMudKe2.jpg

Female up against the divider -

2FMUD2.jpg

And remaining two in their hide -

2nHIDE2.jpg

Paul mentioned he would like to see a 'group' shot --- from 6/22 after it had rained and sun just came out.. after cantaloupe -

newGROUPmunch.jpg

Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.