Continuing to be impressed,

Benjamin

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
zone 7b

CB animals are doing well and growing. #2 and #3 started fighting right after the picture, pretty sure they are both boys.

This is Max. He is WC and I have been caring for him for five months. We couldn't be happier. His gal, Madeline, is doing great also. She wasn't feeling photogenic today. Both have been captive for several years. They represent the few of this species that survive the transfer to captivity.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
RE: Continueing to be impressed,

Actually a great pic of him. They were fighting for the spot light.:)

Nogueyi

5 Year Member
Odp: Continueing to be impressed,

Great animals. My dream. In Europe they are very rare. Hope to have them one day.

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lititz, PA

Awesome, Ben! Great pictures!

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b

Very interesting species, very similar to the emys emys.

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b

Will said:
Benjamin said:
Very interesting species, very similar to the emys emys.

How so such to promt your comparison?
I have been keeping emys emys for a decade now, and impressa for seven years. They both are very alert and responsive to my presence, in a positive way. Very unlike some other species I keep.

I plan to eventually house impressa very similar to my emys emys. Both species do very well in my climate.

emysbreeder

5 Year Member
Benjamin said:

CB animals are doing well and growing. #2 and #3 started fighting right after the picture, pretty sure they are both boys.

This is Max. He is WC and I have been caring for him for five months. We couldn't be happier. His gal, Madeline, is doing great also. She wasn't feeling photogenic today. Both have been captive for several years. They represent the few of this species that survive the transfer to captivity.
Very good work! Not to many wild ones make as you said. In fact not many is a understatement. Unfortionitly, not many private tortoise breeders are interested in them due to the sudden price drop right after the first captive born ones hit the market some years back. I'm glad you got some, as just keeping wild ones healthy will give us the best stock for the future of this animal. You own their future my friend . If I've learned anything after breeding a 2nd generation of Manouria emys (both ssp.) is that wild breeders produce the most fit offspring weather wild to wild or wild to captive born. The best of luck/skil to you defying destiny. Vic Morgan

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
emysbreeder said:
Benjamin said:

Very good work! Not to many wild ones make as you said. In fact not many is a understatement. Unfortionitly, not many private tortoise breeders are interested in them due to the sudden price drop right after the first captive born ones hit the market some years back. I'm glad you got some, as just keeping wild ones healthy will give us the best stock for the future of this animal. You own their future my friend . If I've learned anything after breeding a 2nd generation of Manouria emys (both ssp.) is that wild breeders produce the most fit offspring weather wild to wild or wild to captive born. The best of luck/skil to you defying destiny. Vic Morgan

The horror stories are just that, necropsy reports of the animals filled with sand. Good scam when you sale by the kilo..

Thanks for the inspiration Vic, we met, albeit briefly, in Atlanta 2007.

Manouria are an amazing genus.

ulkal

5 Year Member
Awesome!!! I hope to have some one day when I am a tort pro :p

Is it true that the females noses turn pink when they are ready to mate?

wildak

5 Year Member
Benjamin said:
emysbreeder said:
Benjamin said:

The horror stories are just that, necropsy reports of the animals filled with sand. Good scam when you sale by the kilo..

Thanks for the inspiration Vic, we met, albeit briefly, in Atlanta 2007.

Manouria are an amazing genus.

It's very true, I got a bunch last year that were stuffed with sand that caused multiple issues that lead to many deaths. They came in and were eating and breeding and I though I finally got some fresh caught ones that had a better chance and then most died from ailments from sand impaction. They go from eating and chasing each other around one day to dead the next morning. All because someone selling them by the kilo wanted the most money they could get.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, I think that's a different asian tortoise (nose turns pink at peak breeding condition), but I can't remember which it is.

Oh...I found it - Indotestudo elongata: The animal has a whitish head which during breeding time (November till January) will turn partially pink around the nose and eyes. This is due to vascularization of the sensory system associated with sex. http://www.britishcheloniagroup.org.uk/caresheets/asians

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Yvonne G said:
No, I think that's a different asian tortoise (nose turns pink at peak breeding condition), but I can't remember which it is.

Oh...I found it - Indotestudo elongata: The animal has a whitish head which during breeding time (November till January) will turn partially pink around the nose and eyes. This is due to vascularization of the sensory system associated with sex. http://www.britishcheloniagroup.org.uk/caresheets/asians

This happens with all Indotestudo and Impressa.....Some Cuora and other Turtles also...

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
EricIvins said:
Yvonne G said:

This happens with all Indotestudo and Impressa.....Some Cuora and other Turtles also...

Most spectacular I think are the riverine species, kachuga and batagur.

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lititz, PA
Benjamin said:
Most spectacular I think are the riverine species, kachuga and batagur.

And Kachuga was been placed in Batagur the other year....so these are all in Batagur now. Males have amazing colors in breeding season:

Batagur-combined_resize.jpg