Confused about coir

JJ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bristol
My Russian tort Flash lives in a tort table which has a dry substrate covering the bottom.

One end has a 100w UVA UVB IR Bulb which keeps a temp of 32 degrees.
The other open end is room temperature at around 20 degrees.
His hide, which he sleeps in every night is cooler.

Should his hide be humid? What should I put in there? Should I spray it? Will it cause health problems as I have read the Rissians don't do well in damp conditions.

Attachments

• 1407784166942.jpg
    1407784166942.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 1407784199096.jpg
    1407784199096.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 1407784241697.jpg
    1407784241697.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 32

WillTort2

5 Year Member
You would do well to have a humid hide for your tort as he appears to be fairly young. As they get older they need less humidity.

I like to use a combination of coco coir and top soil and add water to the substrate about twice a week. (More often under the basking light). Do not saturate the substrate; just moist enough for it to hold together when you squeeze it. When you squeeze it, if water drips out it's too wet.

I use a digital humidity gauge and add water whenever the humidity in the room is less than 50%. I will also hang a wet towel in the room to add humidity.

Good luck.

JJ

5 Year Member
Bristol
Thank you I will do that. Do you mix up the coir into the substrate or put it on top?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Hi, who told you that russains don't like humid conditions?? http://russiantortoise.net/care_sheet.htm There is a nice care sheet. All Tom's threads on tort's are great too. I understand your russain in baby right now, but that table looks small for the future adult size.
You can do either :D I use just coir, because the topsoil I've used had always gotten moldy :confused:

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I put the top soil in and then put the coco coir on top. Then I'll mix the top 2 inches. I like a total depth of approx 6". I also add coco coir as needed to keep the substrate fresh.

In addition, I continue to add sow bug or pill bug to the substrate. They will eat bits that I miss when spot cleaning the substrate.

Good luck, and the bigger the better for enclosure size.

JJ

5 Year Member
Bristol
Thank you all very much for your replies.

I was reading a care sheet from www.howtocareforyourtortoise.com and the info just seemed quite conflicting although now that you guys have explained it, it now makes sense. The following is a quote from the text...

" Because they’re from Afghanistan, they hate humidity and damp. If they are kept in damp conditions, like on wet grass, pneumonia, skin problems and shell conditions are sure to follow. This is perhaps the most common mistake made in arranging the living quarters for these tortoises. Special care must be taken to keep their living area dry and at a reasonable level of humidity."

Thanks again - off to get some coir this morning.

JJ

5 Year Member
Bristol
Got my Coco fibre (as it is here in Britain at Pets at Home). Amazed at how much one brick makes.

Popped it in Flash's sleeping area and he dug right down and nestled in for the night.

Just one more question - do you use it all over the enclosure or just parts?

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I use it all over, but in a mix with top soil. You can use just the coco coir but top soil is less expensive and I find I like the mix for their interior because it is more similar to the out door enclosure; which has a black dirt substrate with just a little extra topsoil to fill in some low spots.

JJ

5 Year Member
Bristol
Thanks WillTort2 much appreciated. So glad I joined the forum :)