Compatability

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
If I had a large aquarium and had captive-bred juveniles (so no diseases or parasites, presumably) would a musk turtle and a spotted be compatible in a large enough aquarium? My thoughts are that the musk turtle is more nocturnal and the spotted is more diurnal?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My experience with aquatic turtles is limited, but I can offer some insight on the disease question. It is nearly impossible to guarantee that any animal is disease or parasite free with out a necropsy. Many organism do not continually shed and so will not show up in a fecal exam. The more closely related two species are, the more risk there is.

Not saying this won't work, just saying that it IS a disease risk regardless of the source of the turtles. Just be prepared to deal with it, that's all.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
In my pond, I have spiny softshells, midland painted, and a couple RES, and most probably at least a couple of snappers. A lot of these pond turtles share the same water, and bask together in th e wild, so if it were me, as long as they get along, I'd do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.